Montefalco/Bevagna - What to do/see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're trying to chose between these 2 towns for a stop on our way to Assisi for the night. I'd like to know if there's any interesting small shops in Montefalco or Bevagna and/or what things stand out in your mind when you think of these 2 towns.

FYI: I've got 2 NY city girls along for the ride, and *trying to please everyone.

Lulu
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:39 PM

I was in the area last October and found Bevagna a very beautiful and peaceful town; my walking tour stayed there one night. I can't remember any shops in particular but the location was breathtaking and the town was small enough that people actually smiled in greeting. Not that Spello, etc. are unfriendly; they are just bigger and busier with tourists.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Lulu,
My wife and I stayed in Montefalco for four days, and spent an evening in Bevagna for dinner. We found the whole experience magical; these towns are gems, not too touristed. However, although its certainly possible that we didn't notice everything, I don't remember either of them for their shopping (except for the incredible Montefalco wine: sagrantino). And being from NYC myself, I'm not sure you'll find anything in these towns to keep the girls fully occupied. The towns are both tiny, easily traversed on foot. Montefalco is especially known for its commanding views of the valley. If I had to choose, I'd pick Montefalco, but I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 07:27 AM
DRJ

Lulu: My wife and I have spent a week in or around Bevagna spring and fall for the past four years. Its a delightful little town. If you need information regarding places to stay or eat, let me know.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 02:48 PM
GAC

Montefalco and Bevagna are both little gems, although very different: Montefalco is known for its commanding views of the valley, and for the stunning Renaissance frescos of Benozzo Gozzoli in the deconsacrated main church in town. It has several upscale wine tasting bars. Bevagna is much more medieval and closed in look and feel. Its central square, Piazza Silvestri, is one of the most beautiful in all of Central Italy. Bevagna is flat and a little closer to Foligno than its larger neighbor, with is atop a hill. Bevagna has a couple more hotels, although Montefalco has a four star property, Villa Pambuffetti. Both towns are connected by several buses to Foligno (Monday through Saturday only), and there is also one direct bus to and from Spoleto from Montefalco (but not from Bevagna). Schedules are found at
www.spoletina.it

From Rome, you can reach both towns via Foligno.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:10 PM

these towns sound lovely - can you reach from Siena/Assisi by bus ? I'm using trains/buses. Any other suggestions are welcome? I have along list of location ossibilities for my Oct. trip.