Montecantini Trip

Old May 11th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montecantini Trip

Will be spending a week in Montecantini - looking for any suggestions as to what to see or where to go - What will weather be like - any help with renting a car or mini van (4 adults) - Have been to Florence but will opt to see more of it - How far is Venice and how can we get there? Any help would be appreciated -
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Hi,
I spent a few days in Montecatini two years ago. It was a good base to visit surrounding towns. A highlight of the town was taking the funicular to the top of the old town, Montecatini Alto. We had several very nice meals there, met some great people and the view was wonderful. I will be in Lucca in early June and will be sure to return to Montecatini for dinner one night. Also bought a very nice leather jacket there. I asked the salesperson if it was rain resistant and she proceeded to poor a liter bottle of water on the jacket!! Everytime I put it on I remember my time spent there. Train to Florence is quick and simple. When are you going?
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

We are going June 14 to the 22 - Will be staying at Grand Ambascatori Hotel in Montecantini - any information you have will be greatly appreciated - sites to visit - Were in Florence about 4 years ago - saw some sites but was only there for a day
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Last November, our tour bus(es) were based in the town of Montecatini Terme for one week. I understand that MANY tour companies stay there because of the number of large 4-5 star hotels at reasonable prices and easy access to Tuscan towns.

Montecatini is a lovely, rather modern (by Italian standards) town and you will feel very safe there, especially in the evening. It was absolutely nothing like any other Tuscan town that we visited.

We escaped the tour bus for one day and traveled to Lucca via train. A great town! The train station is centrally located and the trip was about 45 minutes.

Look at wall map in train station, make a note of the stops between towns, and count the stops until your destination. There is also a large internet room in the train station---most handy.

Montecatini was one hour from Florence, but the ride back to Rome was 4 hours, albiet the freeway wasn't a problem and was bordered by beautiful Umbrian or Tuscan scenery.
The tour bus even managed to drive (as an optional) to Postiano on the coast; however, we opted out (for another train trip) and were glad when we heard of the length of the ride.

As you will find out, there is little to no information to be had anywhere on Montecatini (note correct spelling). This is because that it is not a town that one picks purposely for an itinerary---except for the bus tours.

I live in Southern California, and weather in November was exactly like home.

Enjoy
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the infor and correct spelling. Do you have any idea how far Venice is from Montecatini? Are thinking about getting a rental vehicle - we will probably also use the train transportation - Any additional info will be appreciated.
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Try montecatini-terme.it
We are going there June 22 and I was there 2 years ago and really enjoyed it.