Reload this Page >

MONTALCINO or MONTEPULCIANO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:07 PM
trish

We are trying to choose which of these lovely towns to stay in or stay nearby for a few days. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
tilehead

I stayes in ESTRIDY...it´s cheaper and near the two places

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:22 PM
dean

We have never been to Montepulciano so we are going to be no help about the or part. We ahve been toMontalcino on day trips often. Its a wonderful city high up on a hill with the amazing Fortezza Medici at its crown. The Fortezza houses a enoteca where you can sample and buy Brunello di Montalcino, one of Italy's great red wines (as well as its lighter cousin made from younger vines called Rosso di Montalcino). The Fortezza also ffers cheeses and prosciutto di Toscana platters.<BR><BR>Nearby from Montalcino is St Antimo a wonderful 11th centuary monastery with a simple design and stark and primative decorations. You can also hear Gregorian chants at evening prayer. Montalcino is near Monte Oliveto Maggiore and, in fact, is not that far from Montepulciano.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
ppp

In principle, Montalcino! But it may depend on the general picture. You're staying 4 nights in Bevagna. Then you ask about Cortona/Tody, then ... It would help to know from where you're coming (to Tuscany/Umbria), where you're going, how many nights alltogether, will you have a car ...

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
Wayne

Given the question you asked, I would stay in Montalcino for the reasons previously mentioned, but also because it is smaller and (to me) more charming than Montepulciano. Both towns are worth a visit, but Montalcino seems to have more of that medieval character and charm still well preserved in its narrow, hilly streets and little French shops. If you are looking for a good small hotel there, you can check with previous posts on this site. I like the Hotel Residence Montalcino, on the hillside with a great view across the Tuscan hills, and a small garage to park your car if you reserve it ahead.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:42 PM
xx

Be careful about ordering or buying Montepulciano wines--there's the "real" Montepulciano and its inferior cousin Montepulciano d' Abruzzi. An Italian friend, a vintner in Tuscany, says make sure to get the real thing. He calls the Abruzzi version "very nice"--for vinegar ;-)<BR>The real Montepulciano is delicious.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Trish

Thank you all for your help. As I said, this is our first trip to Italy. We want to spend time in both Tuscany and Umbria. We are spending two weeks, with the last 4 nights in Bevagna. Yes we will have a car. We would like to stay in four different areas. Our second choice is San Gimignano, therefore we have two remaining areas. We prefer small hotels or inns, casual with beautiful views of the countryside and under $200.00 per night. (Not asking for much?) So many choices!!!!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:57 PM
dean

To xx<BR><BR>While typically Montepulciano d' Abruzzo is a quaffing wine, describing it as being only good for vinegar is way to harsh a statement. Since it typically goes for $5-8.oo a bottle in the states and the typical Nobile goes for over $20.00 there should be no comparison. Then you have Montepulciano d'Abruzzi like that of Dino Illuminati which compare to anything made in Montepulciano. Finnaly, one of the greatest wines I have ever had, not just one of the greatest Italian wines I have had, is, you guessed it- a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo from Emidio Pepe. It is so rare that only a few cases make it to the US a year and the wine is wonderfully silky and rich and layered and complex.<BR><BR>My advice is that there are no absolutes on any wine growing region.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:55 PM
deepa

Montalcino. Much more quaint and smaller. Parking is easier too. Montepulciano was sort of big and barren. The climb up was pretty steep and parking was a nightmare. Overrated town.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:49 PM
ppp

With Bevagna and San G. fixed, I'd go for Montalcino and Cortona. Out from Cortona, you may visit Lake Trasimeno (20min), Arezzo and Sinalunga (30min), Perugia (40min), Citt&agrave; di Castello (1 hour) and Gubbio (1:20 hours). In case you decide not visiting Montepulciano out from Montalcino, it would be only 40min away.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:56 PM
Cal

Dean: As usual your valuable comments are very insightful. Thanks. Cal.