Search

Montalcino, Montelpuciano, or Pienza

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montalcino, Montelpuciano, or Pienza

I'm traveling with a girlfriend (we're both 40) to Tuscany just for the weekend in mid-April and we're trying to decide which town to stay in - Montalcino, Montelpuciano, or Pienza. I love brunello wines so I was originally partial to staying in Montalcino but then read that it is the least charming. I would also like the place with the best food experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would just book Montalcino and enjoy the wines (I've been to all three).
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM

JES,

On my last visit, I stayed in Montalcino for 3 nts. I loved it and found it very "charming". It's smaller than Montepulciano, and I think a tad larger than Pienza. In the words of Little Red Riding Hood, its JUST right. Really enjoyed walking around at night.

Wine is fabulous, Grappolo Blu (local trattoria) is excellent, hearty traditional Tuscan food and wonderful, larger than life owners. Read "Vanila Beans and Brodo" by Isabella Dusi. Loved wine tasting at the Fortezza, where you can taste many, many different wines. The vintners shops on the main street (small) in town usually only pour their own.

Montepulciano and Pienza both have amazing views and excelent retaurants too. More shopping in Montepulciano.

I found Pienza beautiful, but honestly EVERY tour bus in the world stops there because it's easy parking access and realtively flat when compared to most hilltowns. Majority of shops are more tourist-oriented. Lots of good cheese however....

If you live close enough to go just for the weekend, you will be back! Just go and enjoy Montalcino and have some Brunello for me!

Buon viaggio
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM

I loved Montepulciano but after reading Vanilla Beans and Brodo I wish I'd stayed a few nights in Montalcino. So if I were just going for a weekend I would choose Montalcino. As suggested by Dayle you really should read the book to really appreciate the town.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM

All three towns have their own particular advantages. But of the three I would suggest either Pienza or Montepulciano because of my own personal experiences.
Pienza is a tiny town with one main Corso Rossellino which segues into many side streets. There are about a dozen restaurants and caffes, and about a dozen shops. We purchased wonderful cheeses for which the town is known. Also the prices were much lower in Pienza than the other towns. The Fermata autobus (Bus stop) is located directly outside the main city gate. You will be able to connect with several area towns such as Montepulciano, Chianciano, and Montalcino. Florence, Siena, and Pisa are quite a distance and bit more time consuming for a day bus trip. The train may be more advantageous, but not always convenient in terms of time schedule and non-direct rides. If you want quiet, you may find this to your liking.
Montepulciano, which is another ancient, walled city is a bit larger, and again offers a variety of trattorias, caffes, and shoppes. Trattoria Di Voltaia, Il Cittino, Caffe Poliziano and Ristorante Il Cantuccio offer very nice dining options. Public transportation is good. For accommodations with hospitable hosts, plain but clean rooms with baths, I would suggest the Il Riccio Hotel, the Il Marzocco, or the
Il Borghetto. If you enjoy brunello, you will love the vino Nobile di Montepulciano. On my last trip, Montepulciano was more centrally located for my plans, and public transporation was very good. There are many British ex-patriots who have settled in this town, so that may be an advantage for you. I became very friendly with a lovely guide, whose references were very helpful.
The townspeople in both of these cities are friendly and accommodating.
However, I agree with kybourbon, in that if you are more interested in just the wine, then you may prefer Montalcino.
I would be interested to know from which airport you will be arriving.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 07:40 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks for the great feedback...Right now I'm looking at staying at La Locanda di San Francesco in Montepulciano and finding the most authentic meal w the best Tuscan ambiance for dinner
OR
staying at
Hotel Vecchia Oliviera and eating at Trattoria Il Leccio

Either place I would like to have lunch, a wine tasting at one of the wineries, see the sights and shop around.

Any further insight by anyone who stayed in both towns?
GoodLuckGirl, can I ask why you did not choose Montalcino?
Thanks again for any advice!
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:02 AM

If you're going to be making day trips by car, then Pienza is the easiest to get in and out of. You need to consider parking availability also. We stayed in Montalcino and loved the views. I'm not so fond of Montepulciano as others here. I just remember it as a long uphill haul. Whereas at least when you got into Montalcino, the town was centered and relatively flat.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:03 AM

You could look at San Quirico d'Orcia also. It's smaller and quieter, but again on the flat making a good base for daytrips.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Jes,

The 3 towns are really all within easy driving distance. You may stay in one and end up taking a liking to 1 of the other two as you visit.

For visiting Montepulciano, we parked in an underground parking garage attached to a grocery store and walked up to the top of the town. It's a long walk, but who is in a hurry?

My hotel parked and retrieved my car in Montalcino for me each day. But I found it easy to drive in and out on the main street of Montalcino and had a fun stick shift car.

Pienza has a small lot on level ground just outside the walls. It does get full, but I'm sure there are others.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks so much all, I'm going with Montepulciano because it's a little bigger than Montalcino and I fell in love with the images on google.
Now I need a good restaurant recommendation! I'll post seperately but I'm looking for a really great atmospheric (country) restuarant with amazing Tuscan food if anyone wants to weigh in!
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM

My preference for Montepulciano was purely personal. I "connected" with the town and the people. It is quiet, and yet lively enough not to be over run with tourists. I attribute that to the many winding and twisting streets leading to the various piazzas and locales throughout the town.
See my restaurant recommendations above. And most people would include Acquacheta, which has good food, especially the bistecca. For lunch, try Osteria del Conte near the
Fortress.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM

We've stayed in both Montalcino and Montepulciano--5 weeks or so in Montepulciano. You'll love Locanda di San Francesco, the setting alone will thrill you. Check with the Consorzio folks in the bottom of the Tourist Office in the Piazza Grande--they have a tasting room as well as offers to go to wineries in the area for tastings. There are several tasting rooms within the town as well--one across the San Francesco Piazza you will be staying at.

The above dining suggestions are all fine and I agree--I always insist on a visit to Aquachetta but have to be ready for the "feast of bistecca". Its true Tuscan food but for a combination of ambiance and food--La Porta in nearby Montechiello is my favorite. Enjoy your visit--Paul.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM

I agree with "macanimals". Locanda di San Francesco is a 4 room pensione, but very cozy and charming.

Enjoy your vacation.