Monoprix and Italy

Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Monoprix and Italy

I went to Monoprix many many times ...going to Italy and everytime I see a reference to buying things at a store, I wonder if there is a "monoprix type store" in Italy. If so...what is the name?..are stores where I can replenish my toiletries common there?...
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:49 PM

Common stores found throughout Italy are UPIM, STANDA, and COIN stores. These are more like department stores that carry sundry items from clothes, shoes, kitchen/bathroom supplies to cosmetics, etc.

For more specific toiletry items (i.e. contact lens solutions, cough meds, etc.) a local "pharmacia" store will have more of a those items than the stores aforementioned.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM

Also the "Billa" supermarket chain of Austria has stores in Italy,- 2 that I know of in Venice-one on the Zattere and the other on the Strada Nuova in Cannaregio-they sell toiletries in addition to groceries/wine/beer.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

It's interesting you mention contact lens solution...each time in France I had to find it at an optical store which of course was always closed when I got there.....thanks
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:53 PM

> contact lens solution...each time in France I had to find it at an optical store ..

Bur Loisco, contact lense solution is sold in Pharmacies too in France (as well as in many other European countries).
Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM

There is also a supermarket chain called Despar. I saw it in Rome and don't know it's a national chain.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm. We never found it in a pharmacy....BUT initially we looked on our first trip which was in Brittany and the country (rural areas)...only could find it in optical places..I never bothered in Paris looking in pharmacies...I hope you are right.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM

Loisco, my travle partner often foget the contact lens solution (!) and we look for it once we got our destination, Paris, Marseille, Nice, Antibe, Lyon, pretty much anywhere we found it at pharmacies, we have not had to look for a optiocal store for it.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Well thanks for the help...! That solves my problem. We are going to Italy first...will I find the contaact solution easily there?..
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I, too, wear contacts and have run out of solution in both France (Paris) and in Italy (Rome). I went initially to a market thinking they would carry it (as markets do in the U.S.) and was told they do not, go to a pharmacy. After learning that, I had no trouble buying new solution in a pharmacy store in Paris (7th Arr near the Rue Cler) and in Rome (near the Campo dei Fiori district). It is not hard to find but don't expect to find eye solutions in a regular (super)market there, as it may be found here in the U.S. in a variety of store types (supermarkets, Walmarts, drug stores, etc). I have learned to carry the larger bottle of solution (12 oz) so that I don't run out now!
Jun 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

I debated whether to carry the 12 ounce as I am trying to keep the weight down but I think you are right. I will have to reduce the weight more with the other things. (sigh!).

Jun 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM

I've bought single use vials of saline
in a pharmacy in S.France. V. handy
for travelling. Of course, the best
thing for convenience is the one-day
throw-aways - no cleaners/solutions
required at all.
Jun 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Hmm..I will have to look for those. My prescription isn't available in the throw-away...you've been a great help.

Search this Thread