???Money - Paris..food & spending?????

May 1st, 2000, 08:20 AM
Jersey

???Money - Paris..food & spending?????

My air fare & accomodations are already covered.....how much money do I need for food & spending for 6 days in Paris? First time visit.

May 1st, 2000, 08:35 AM
Bob Brown

I am assuming that you are in the "budget" category when you travel.
I am assuming that you want to visit the museums and whatnot. Get a copy of Lets Go Paris; it will detail costs of museums and give some good tips on budget places to eat.
I bought a few sandwiches in bakeries for a good price. For evening meals, I ate at Bistro de la Gare near Montparnasse. The average cost was about
$21 for a dinner. That is fairly cheap as Paris eateries go. But around the Sarbonne you can find cheaper places.

May 1st, 2000, 08:41 AM
steve

The Left Bank for cheap but good food. 3 course meal for $15.

Metro cheapest way to get about. Try speaking some French and you'll find the locals very helpful. Enjoy!!

May 1st, 2000, 08:58 AM
elaine

Hi
The museum card Carte Musee will cover your admissions for a given number of consecutive days.
for info, go to
www.intermusees.com
What neighborhood are you staying in? Bob is right, the Latin Quarter around the Sorbonne has the most budget-priced places to eat, to accommodate the starving students.
For breakfasts, skip the usually-overpriced one offered by your hotel (unless it is included in the room price) and explore your neighborhood to find a cafe or salon de the or even a bakery that will offer coffee and rolls in the mornings. For even less money, buy some bread, pastries and coffee in the morning and take them back to your room. Pack some paper plates, napkins, and plastic utensils in your suitcase to take with you.
The Monoprix stores, which remind me of the former Woolworth's in the US, have
pretty extensive grocery departments where you could buy bread, butter, crackers, cheese, fresh fruit, as well as a bottle of wine for later in the day.

May 1st, 2000, 09:08 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi,

No less than 100 bucks per day. You will be surprised how much it will add up. And figure on more if you get souvenirs.

Beth

May 1st, 2000, 09:47 AM
elvira

Barebones eating (cafeterias, street food, do-it-yourself picnics, no cafes for a Coke, etc.): $10 a day
Barebones spending (free museums plus one admission, walking almost everywhere, no souvenirs): $10 a day

Budget eating (sandwich at lunch, bistro/pizza/Chinese for dinner or lunch at a restaurant and sandwich or the like for dinner): $25
Budget spending (two entrance fees, metro/bus, small souvenir): $30

To save money on entrance fees, visit the websites to see the hours for reduced fees (i.e., Louvre is free one Sunday a month); the Carte de Musee will save you money if you plan to visit at least two fee'd places a day.

To save money on transportation, buy either a metro pass or carnets (10 metro/bus tickets for the price of 7 1/2).

To save on souvenirs, go to the major department stores: they often have sales; they offer 10% discount and free goodies (like a totebag or prints of Paris) to tourists; if you spend enough, the VAT is rebated; you can buy non-souvenir souvenirs (i.e., a set of dessert plates for $20 vs 'souvenir' plates at $15 a pop) for less money and more creativity.

May 3rd, 2000, 07:06 PM
Jane

We used very little cash while we were in France. Really almost EVERYTHING was purchased by credit card. Yes, at the outdoor cafe for coffee. Tolls on the roads, all meals, shops etc. It is very much to your advantage to use the credit card as the exchange rate will be the best available. Walk, listen, and enjoy. I wish I was going back with you.