Money concerns in Paris

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:47 AM
Donna

Money concerns in Paris

I will be traveling to Paris with my husband and daughter in June 2001. I am very proud to say that I have managed to save what I think is enough money to pay for the whole trip in cash. We will be staying for eight full days in Paris at the Hotel Muguet, with a rate quoted to us at 800FF per night for a triple room. I thought this was reasonable rate for a Paris hotel. I will be purchasing my airline tickets next month with my Christmas bonus, so those are covered. I was planning on taking about $3,500-$4,000 for hotel, food, souvenirs, sites, etc. for eight days. I think that this is plenty of money, but my spouse is getting paranoid on me and thinks we should cancel. Do you all think this will be enough money? I do not spend money foolishly and we do not plan to eat at places like Taillevent or L'Arpege. I have been talking with some good friends who travel to Paris frequently and they all seem to agree that some of the best meals in Paris are the ones found at places off the beaten path. I know this question seems silly, but I would like to ease my husband's mind, and we are determined not to put any of it on credit cards. I welcome your opinions. Thanks again for your time.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Richard

Donna, $500/day for food and lodging is plenty adequate. I would suggest however that you open an account with ATM privileges (if you don't already have one) and draw out the FF as needed. I would also take a credit card for emergencies. The last time we were in Paris, in May, the drivers that delivered cash to the ATMs were on strike.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Lee

Donna,
DON'T TAKE THAT MUCH CASH!!!
How will you keep it safe? Take travelers checks or put the money in the bank, don't touch it, and pay on the credit cards when you go. Then pay off your credit cards with the $$ you allowed for the trip (keep a record of your purchases if you think you might overspend the money you put in the bank) . You might even get a better exchange rate on the credit cards when they are posted.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:58 AM
lisa

Donna -- Your budget is plenty adequate, and then some. The exchange rate is great, and you can eat more cheaply (and better) in Paris than you can here in the U.S. You are going to be fine. I really hope you don't cancel.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:08 AM
Lori

Donna,
We visit Paris often and you have enough money for a very nice trip. DO NOT take cash however, take an ATM card (2 of them actually in case you run into any problems or had one lost) or travelers checks (ATM card is much mor convenient tho). I think it's wonderful that you ahve saved up for the entire trip and knowing that the money is there in the bank to pay the credit card bills when you get back will make for a very enjoyable vacation. Your hotel rate (triple) is very good and the exchange rate is wonderful now too. Since you don't plan on any wild splurges you should be fine.

You might want to be sure to get some French Francs to have on hand when you first arrive, we always do. Your local bank can arrange to get some for you. There are ATM's at the airport but it's kind of a pain to search them out and deal with them when you have jet lag. If you haven't already throught of it you can also arrange for the Shuttle to pick you up at the a/p and take you to your hotel - for three of you it would be worth it - lots of advice on the Shuttle on this Forum,it works real well and is less costly than a taxi and not the hassle of dragging luggage in and out of public transportation.

Tell your husband to relax and look forward to a wonderful trip and he sure is lucky he has a wife who has thought this all through and saved up the $$$.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Donna

My goodness that was a quick reply. Lee, thank you for your advice and concerns. We will, in fact, be taking some travelers checks and our Visa ATM card for cash withdrawals, and I had planned on taking a credit card for emergencies. You are all very kind and helpful with your advice and very patient with my silly questions. I wish you all could talk with my husband! He dropped this bomb on me Friday evening after work and I've been very upset at the thought of canceling our trip. To be perfectly honest with you, even though this trip is a graduation gift for our daughter, a trip to Paris has always been a dream of mine. Thanks again for all of your help!

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Dave

It may be just me, but my head begins to swim when I think of carrying a large amount of cash, if that is what you are planning. You can count on losing a large commission when you pay in the hotel or cambio. You also have to worry about theft. My I suggest that you reconsider and pay with a credit card (that way you cannot run out of money and it gives you the best rate), (we take 2 just in case) or take American Express checks (in which case you will also lose and may have a hard time when changing.) Also, the best thing is to get foreign cash (about $200 worth) for small costs, at the airport with an ATM card.

It is hard to get a bad meal in Paris, even a the less expensive ones. I suggest that you get info from this Fodor's site about restaurants, so you know which are recommended in the various price categories.

I am sure you will get other opinions, but I hope this will help you.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Annie

Hi Donna:
Congratulations! Have a great trip. I agree with those who say do not take that much cash.
My bank issued a ATM card with a Mstercard logo (debit card). I use it as an ATM card and a credit card. I used it in Paris this past spring with no problems at all. If you need to seek out an ATM in Paris. I walk over to where the TGV train was and the ATM had no lines. Very easy.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:19 AM
AC

Wow Donna:
Lots of replies in such a short time!
Your Visa ATM will be very handy. Use it! Travelers checks are good to havr in your wallet, just in case. Most folks end up bringing them back home with them. I am assuming your daughter to be 17-18. She is going to have a blast! Be safe and have a wonderful time. Tell hubby not to worry, he is going to enjoy Paris with "his two best girls"

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:52 AM
herself

Donna,
Your husband can't be worried that you don't have enough money, there is something else on his mind. You have budgeted more than twice the amount I usually do. Could he be anxious about flying or being in a foreign country?

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 08:48 AM
anon

Only to repeat what others have said - please don't carry that much money.

My aunt was mugged in broad daylight on the Metro. She fought with her mugger for several seconds, screaming for help as he pulled her along a full train. Nobody paid any attention. If she was that upset about a handbag and FFr500, just think how you would feel.

I'm NOT saying that Paris is a terrible den of thieves - I don't think it is - but it is so EASY to avoid that risk.

Can't you get a credit card that awards you bonuses for use, so you can just spend the $4,000 and get a little something extra?

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Jill

You might consider leaving this guy at home and going with your daughter. If he's so concerned about money (and I agree with the last poster, he perhaps is really worried about something else) he might just be a drag on the trip anyway. You could cut expenses down if he doesn't go as well. To those of you who think this sounds mean I'm sorry, but I think he should be really thankful he has a wife who saved up all this money, and is willing to use her Christmas bonus for tickets. Lots of people go on trips with just their kids, so maybe it's a solution to 'his problem' - just leave him home. Sorry Donna but he's over-reacting I think, something must be bothering him if he doesn't think $3-4,000 is enough for a stay in Paris. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has no clue what things cost. If this is so, turn him on to this Forum and we'll all help him out with costs. Most attractions in Paris have web sites too which give admissions costs, etc. You can really get a good idea what you are going to spend before you go.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Donna

Thank you all again for being so helpful. Don't worry; I promise I won't be taking all that money in cash. I have a Visa ATM card, plan to take travelers checks, and will take one credit card for emergencies only and to rent a car for a day trip. All I have to do now is work on reassuring my husband that we will have enough money. I am bound and determined to take this trip!!!!!

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:06 AM
Annie

Hi Donna:
Where do you plan to go for your day trip? Driving through Paris is a terrifying experience. If you let us know where you plan to go, the experts here will tell you have to get there without a car. A thought....

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Kris

Paris has an unwarranted reputation as an expensive city, the exchange rate right now is very favorable. Although you can blow your budget there if you stay/eat at the fanciest places, it doesn't sound like you are planning that kind of trip at all. Your budget is more than adequate.

A couple of other budget hints for you in case someone else hasn't mentioned them-the museum pass is a good way to see a lot of places for a reasonable price and also lets you cut the admission lines. Go to www.intermusees.com for more info. Also you can buy metro tickets in packets of 10 called carnets which will save a bit on transportation. And since you're going in June, it will be perfect weather for picnics. The Rodin musuem has a lovely garden and there are other gardens in Paris that are lovely for a picnic lunch.

You've gotten some great advice on money. Just make sure you have several options open, we couldn't use our ATM card in Portugal and had to get very creative in finding cash. ATM and credit cards give the best exchange rate. And make sure whatever account you have your ATM card for can be accessed from overseas, I don't think you can get money out of savings, at least not with all banks.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:21 AM
elvira

I like Jill's idea "yes dear, $4000 is not enough for three people to go to Paris; Boudica, our lovely daughter, and I have decided you should stay home".

Has he told you what HE thinks it will cost? Maybe he's read too many articles in Conde Nast Traveler and thinks every meal will be $100 per person (this is not a slam on the magazine; I actually like it - it's just that their reviews often are of the high road). Or does he feel obligated to bring back an expensive souvenir for every family member and friend?

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:22 AM
charlotte

I'm with everyone else around here - you have more than enough money budgeted to enjoy a week in Paris!

I'm curious to know if your husband has ever visited Europe? It sounds to me as though he needs to do some homework in the next 6 months to learn what to expect. Would he read a guidebook - like "First Time: Europe" that is part of the Rough Guides series? Or maybe Rick Steves books - like "Europe Through the Backdoor"?

Do any of you speak French? Is your husband intimidated by the idea of not being able to communicate with people there? Before you go, practice what you know - maybe, get some tapes - or see if there are classes offered in your area. (Even a six week, introduction to French, type of class will be helpful!)

I think you will have a great time!

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:24 AM
Teri

I think your husband just needs more information. A trip to Paris could actually cost less than a trip to Disneyworld or land. Share some of the research you did with him and reassure him how well the exchange rate is.

Other than that, then something is bothering him. Many people speak French over there, so you don't have to worry about the language.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:52 AM
Lori

Donna,
It's me again - if your husband is afraid of the language problem tell him it's not a problem. Just about everyone in Paris, particularly in the tourist industry, speaks English. Not to worry!
As for renting a car for a day trip -- don't. We visit Paris often enough to know this is not a very good idea. Driving in Paris is not easy (most of the time) and nearly everyplace you would want to go (assuming tourist attractions) is easily reached by train.
Where are you planning on going? A one day car rental can be very expensive, even when booked in the US ahead of time. If you don't feel up to planning a train trip yourself you can always book a tour through Cityrama or ParisVision (both have websites) to just about any of the main places tourists go to see. The prices are on the website too so your husband can see the figures.
Let us know your plans, we can all help you keep costs under control! There are a zillion places to eat in Paris and many are inexpensive - as Elvira said do not go by what is printed in Conde Nast (or even many other travel pubications), trust me - not everyone eats $50-$100 meals and stays in $500 night hotel rooms (I know we sure don't). We have family in Paris and they don't eat at $100 a meal places either).

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 10:13 AM
Janice

I could take three trips to Paris with a companion for that much money! You've got tons, gobs, wads, much much more money than is essential to get by. I agree with lots of the above - your husband must be working with bad information, or concerned about something else. And DON'T take a lot of cash - if for no other reason than it burns a hole in your pocket and you spend more than you otherwise might.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -