MONEY BELT

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MONEY BELT

Please could someone explain why one should be more inclined towards wearing a money belt while on holiday (vacation) than in ones home country.

Many cities in America have a far higher crime rate than those in Europe.

If you look like tourists you think you are more vulnerable? I'm just curious, on holiday I've never seen the need for one, as when out and about I just carry a small amount of cash and some cards - leaving passports, tickets, and other documentation in a safe.

Thank you for listening, and I look forward to hearing your responses.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Did you read indytravel's comment on this post? Explains it very well.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34445682
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Because pick pocketing is more common in Europe than in the US.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I agree with MKingdom, I have been to Europe and other parts of the world including countries where pick pocketing and mugging occur more often than in Europe and my husband and I have never carried a money belt.

We have never owned one. We do not carry anything while on vacation we leave everything at the hotel including passports. All we have is some cash, one ATM and one credit card which my husband hides in his groin.

I am extremely curious to find out why people feel that money belts protect them from thieves and what are they carrying in them anyway

Also why I see people going to museums and other tourist sites with day backpacks, what do they have in them. Just curious.
Mell
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Mellangel, I'm glad I'm not a merchant who has to handle your husband's credit card!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Howard,
He puts the credit card, ATM card and money in a very small plastic bag and then puts the plastic bag inside his underwear. He would not do that to merchants.

Mell
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Mellangel, I'll attempt to quench your curiosity.

I only use a money belt when traveling city to city, in airports or train stations where pick pockets are very common. When touring during the day, I only carry some cash and a credit card. For those that don't carry a money belt, it's their perogative, but some people prefer to have one. Each to his own. Personally, I travel with a lot of cash from city to city and feel more comfortable having that cash in a money belt, rather than in my bra or shoes. I don't think it's a good idea to have it in my pockets.

In my daybag while touring, I carry guidebooks, water, camera, hand sanitizer, tissues, and any other necessities I might need for the day. It certainly beats carrying it all in my bare hands.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Re: Many cities in America have a far higher crime rate than those in Europe.

All crime is not equal. There's violent crime, and petty crime. Many cities in the U.S. may have a far higher rate of certain types of crime, like violent crime, whereas many cities in Europe may have a far higher rate of other types of crime, like the petty crime of pickpocketing.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Mellangel, forgive my bit of playfullness. I figured that was the answer, but I couldn't resist responding to your comment!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:21 AM

mellangle,

Your husband may not use a "moneybelt" but by hiding the credit card down his pants, he may as well have one. The idea of the money belt isn't that it has to be a particular make or model but that travelers take simple precautions.

As for those who see no reason for these precautions and have traveled for years. Remember it only has to happen one time to ruin your vacation so why not play it safe.

The purpose of travel is to experience things and people not found where you live; so travel in ways most comfortable to yourself not to others.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM

We use a money belt when traveling because, when we are in our home town, we are just around the corner from a bank OR we can call and cancel credit cards easily from home (which I had to do just last week when my card was stolen right in front of me as it sat on the counter while I waited to pay at a Boston Chicken) and we speak the language so talking to a policeman isn't a huge hassle. Also, we don't need our passport to get home from where we are shopping.

When I travel--particularly overseas--I want to be able to concentrate on the sites I'm seeing, food I'm eating, etc. with peace of mind and not have to worry about being ever vigilant. How tiring!

A money belt (worn with the pouch at the base of the back is very comfortable, by the way) allows us to look up, look down and get lost in our views.

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:55 AM

Forgot to mention another important reason for extra safeguarding--the time away from our vacation that might be spent on the phone from the hotel room canceling a card, sitting in the consulate getting a new passport, sitting at the police station filing a report, etc. Just the general hassle of replacement when you are far from home.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Comparative crime statistics have been discussed in this forum numerous times. It is a myth that Europe is uniformly less crime-ridden than the US. You are more likely to be murdered in the US, particularly if you live in an economically depressed inner city environment. The larger countries of western Europe (including the UK), however, have higher rates of robbery, rape, assault and car theft. I suspect that pickpocketing is higher as well, although I have not seen specific statistics.

If your husband puts his credit cards in his underwear, he might as well be wearing a money belt. It would be easier on his underwear.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Money belts are an excellent idea--in theory. I have three different kinds of money belts (including one that goes under your shirt around your neck), and I just can't bring myself to wear them. I tried each of them for about a day, and that was all I could bear. The around-the-waist money belt is very uncomfortable for women who wear pants, especially the low-rise, which is what I tend to wear (not the extremely low hip-hugger kind, just the kind that sits slightly below your natural waist). The one around the neck, in addition to being conspicuous (unless you are traveling in winter time) strains your neck horribly (if you put in your passport and tickets). If anyone knows of a money belt designed with women in mind, please let me know. I already paid for 3, might as well buy another one for the collection.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:02 PM

There was a post here a couple of days ago from someone who discovered their hotel safe, wasn't. I have also heard on other boards that the reliability of room safes isn't always guaranteed.

Sansdieu

You could try pinning (securely, i.e. with more than one pin) or sewing your neck pouch to the inside of a vest. I suppose you could do the same with your waist pouch, to the inside back of another vest, so as to have 2 options of clothing.

In any case, your clothes must be chosen so as to keep the pouch on the inside of some item of clothing. (So much for touring the great naturist resorts of Europe... )
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:16 PM

I have a neck belt which I use in Europe where I know I'll be in crowded venues. It has a belt loop and that is how I usually wear it, sometimes with a folded half inside my trousers. Cash and credit card that I may be using are kept in a buttoned shirt pocket. Not very stylish.

Generally, we leave the hotel early in the day and return late afternoon, sometimes not until after dinner. The backpack is wonderful for carrying water bottles, guidebooks, camera, umbrella, sweater, pygmies, rain jacket, small purchases, hat, lunch and anything else that comes to mind.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:34 PM

Hate to be stupid..but what the H*** is a pygmie?

I've never used a money belt in 40 years of travel..but this board has made me paranoid so I bought a neck one..I know after trying it that it will never be used..so then I bought a belt loop one..I may ask my husband if he wants to use it.

Ive velcroed the inside pocket of his jacket and also the flap on the back pocket of his pants that he wears when we travel...you can hear that stuff rip at about 100 yards!

I usually just carry a shoulder bag, not that large, as I don't feel the need to carry half my baggage with me in civilized places. I do itineraries and print maps from my guide books or mappy or pagesjaune and toss them at the end of the day. I can go a few hours without water or refreshing my make-up,I don't need to carry snacks or lunch,an umbrella I might carry if I thought it was needed.. My bag has inside zippered pockets and I pin a zippered sport sac bag in that..zipper side in...if someone wants anything out of my bag they are going to have to grab and snatch the whole thing!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:52 PM

When I was married an traveling w/ my husband we didn't use money belts. Just made sure cards, travelers checks (back in the old days when I used them), and money was divied up between us. If either of us lost something we were still OK.

But traveling alone as I often do now, personal security is a lot more important to me and I always use a money belt. I have had several over the years, but now use one of the neck pouches on an adjustable cord. Only I wear it around my waist instead. It is pocket shaped so a lot smaller than the ones designed to be worn around the waist. And the cord is a LOT narrower than the typical monet belt or waist safe. It is very comfortable and does not show through anything except tight slacks - but I usually don't wear those anyway.

I carry a credit card, my ATM card if I plan on using it, and daily cash in my small handbag. And my passport, other Credit/ATM cards, any excess cash in the money belt. I seldom or ever have to get into the thing during the day, but I have everything if I need it.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
lyb

I can see wearing a money belt during the winter when clothes are bulky, but then again, you also then have more pockets to split things up in.

But during the summer, isn't it hot? and also, the clothes are more revealing or at least not layered, doesn't it show?

Don't get me wrong, if it's been working for you, I think it's great, but to me, it seems like it would be hot and uncomfortable.

I'm interested in finding out what do the ones who wear money belt during a hot and humid summer?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:20 PM

lyb, first of all, thanks for your nice compliments in the past...they're greatly appreciated.

In answer to your quetion, this past summer was our first traveling abroad at that time of year, since we usually go in the spring or fall, so I know where you are coming from. I had the same dilemma...."how am I going to actually hide that darned thing?"...be it a money belt or a neck pouch. It's much easier when it's cool and you have on bulkier clothing.

So, I wore skirts, and he wore pants when traveling city to city and the money belts were no problem and really didn't show. As I said before, we only used them when in transit. I also made sure to buy money belts that had a satin, "non-sweat" backing, and we really didn't have a problem.

Is is uncomfortable when it's stuffed at times? Yes. But, in my mind it's better than having to worry about being pick pocketed when in crowded airports or train stations. And, you actually get used to it after awhile.

I will say, though, that when traveling in bulkier/winter type clothing, you really don't notice it at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information