Search

Monet's Giverny

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 12:43 PM
PalenqueBob

Monet's Giverny

A great day trip from Paris goes to the tiny romantic village of Giverny, 50 miles northwest of Paris. Most folks come here to see Monet's House and Gardens, but you don't even have to visit them to appreciate this quinessential small lost-in-time French village, outwardly little changed since the time Money held court here and put his romantic impressions of local scenes to canvas. Monet's grave is in the local cemetery. The famous gardens, meticulously planned by Monet to be props to paint, like his now hugely famous Lillie series, are stunning but can be hard to enjoy at times because they are too crowded. <BR>Nitty gritty: By train Paris St. Lazare to Vernon, 3.5 miles from Giverney. Mini-buses and taxis link station to gardens, as does a footpath over the course of an abandoned rail line. House, gardens closed Mon, open Apr-Oct. Long lines can form when tour buses arrive in droves, arrive early. House director says "Wednesdays best day to visit as French schoolkids are usually out of school that day and the number of French senior citizen tour buses that stop daily is way down that day because many of the old folks are with their grandkids."

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 12:55 PM
mimi taylor

palenqueBob, let me add that they also must visit down the road at the American museum where ther is currently a wonderful photography exhibet by American women. And than there's the delightful hotel Baudy that is now a museum and restaurant. In it's hey day it was home to all the American impressionists who came to paint and visit Monet. Check out the beautiful book A TASTE OF GIVERNY beautiful pictures of the ancient hotel Baudy and monet's house and gardens.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 05:52 PM
RPM

Is Giverny open in November? We will be in Paris the first week in November and would like to go. Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 11:03 PM
a

Rpm: The House and Garden of Claude Monet customarily close at the end of October. PalenqueBob notes this.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 05:29 AM
Painter

I have heard of some B&B in Giverny that have painting studios for their guests to utilize... This was something I have been thinking about doing, sort of an artistic retreat. Has anyone stayed at one of these and what was it like?

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:46 PM
joe

go to the marmottan museum in paris and have over 100 monets almost to your self including impressions of a sunrise that gave the movement its start.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Linda

Was there on 10/3 - don't take a tour bus cause that limited me to the house and gardens only. I found the house to be charming but no info on whether any of the furnishings were original. The gardens were still blooming in great profusion of color - no flowers are labeled so I could not identify a few species that I have never seen before. The church where he is buried is near by but we could not get there due to time restraints - so go but get good info before you get there.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Dayle

We did take a CitiTours tour to Giverny 2nd week in October. Luckily for us, it stopped raining for the first time in our 5 days in Paris and our group was the only one there. Gardens & flowers were lovely. It was explained to us that they raise the flowers in hothouses & plant seasonally (just like Disneyland). So, the gardens always look nice. The tour gave us plenty of time (since no crowds) and was a very stress-free way to go. Our guide was full of interesting facts. It was a nice change of pace for us since the rest of our 2 week trip and sightseeing was all completely independent. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Don

For travellers planning a visit to Monet's garden with children, check out the childrens book or video "Linnea in Monet's Garden." Most large public libraries should have it. Very good stuff.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Beth Anderson

don't forget Les Andelys nearby - maybe 8 miles away. it is a huge fortress built by Richard Coeur de Lion in the 13th century - impressive, massive fortress overlooking the Seine, way high up on the hill...

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Jeannette

I just returned from Paris and Giverny. I saw Giverny in a light rain but it didn't diminish the experience and the gardens were beautiful. I took the Paris Visions tour. It was a 4 hour event with two hours of free time in Giverny where we had adequate time to enjoy Monet's house and gardens and the nearby American Impressionist Museum. Our tour guide gave us interesting information and also drove us by the cemetery where Monet was buried, his previous home, the house where his first wife died and typical Normandy houses, inns and some of the more interesting churches. We were in a van with two other couples and it was a very enjoyable and easy way to visit. At the beginning of October, the crowds weren't bad at all. There were photos in the house showing Monet with much of the same furniture so I imagine that most of the furniture in the house is original. Monet had a large oriental art collection which is in the house. <BR> <BR>If you have extra time in Paris, you can visit the Marmotten Museum but it's a bit out of the way and I thought that the Monet collection there was second-rate. Monet became very commercial at the end of his career and most of the art at the Marmotten was disappointing next to this work at other museums or the reproductions in his house.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Ritardo

If wanting to stay in Giverny, I saw signs for a Gite Rural, an association that links individual property owners who rent out usually whole houses in old villages. French National Tourist Office may have details or in France you can buy in bookshops or tourist offices the Gites Ruraux guidebook - for folks looking for something besides hotels but still wanting comfort - often have room for several adults, kitchen, etc.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 07:01 PM

ttt

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
je pense que Auvers-sur-Oise est un experience plus marveilleurse, meme!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Zut alors, je trompe que'es que je voudrais dire!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 10:40 AM

I'm hoping for the chance to visit Monet's home. Has anyone taken the trip there on their own using the train? Is it as easy as it sounds to do?
A mention was made that Wednesday was the best day to visit. We will be there in the summer months so the idea that French school children will be there at all seems unusual in the summer, no? Any idea as to which day of the week during the vacation and tourist season would be best to visit the house and garden? Thank you.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 10:49 AM
ed

We have done it about three times. It is very easy to get a train from St Lazare - there is one about noon and then take a bus or share a taxi to Giverny. The going home schedule is not quite as convenient but no major problem.

The week-end, holiday train schedule is a bit different (as we found out May 8 - VE Day.)

Allow yourself time to find the right window in the station to buy your ticket.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:58 PM

I was alone in Paris for a month taking a total immersion French course. Of this marvelous experience (in my mid 40s), the thing I remember best is the day I went to Giverny.
I took the train, where I met several people making the same trip. Took the bus to Giverny, had wonderful visit and lunch at the American Museum, then as I waited for the bus, an American couple I had met on the train asked if I wanted to share a cab to quickly visit the church Monet painted so many times. What a glorious experience it all was (and after 10 years, this couple and I still exchange Xmas cards).
And lastly, someone I once knew in Dallas and now lives in Japan spotted me at the Paris train station--what a trip!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM

If you're doing this on the way to another town, how dangerous to leave your luggage in your trunk? Is there a visible, busy car park very close to the gardens? Alternatively, if one were to overnight in Vernon, would it be a nightmare to try to get to the airport next morning? Not having booked tickets yet, I don't have a flight time but assume it would be morning.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Yes, the carpark right across the road is quite busy. I wouldn't worry at all about a locked car there. Of course as always I wouldn't stand at the trunk for 5 or 10 minutes making a big deal about locking things in the trunk.
Can't answer your question about the drive or trip to the airport the next morning from Vernon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -