Reload this Page >

Monastery in Rome?

Search

Monastery in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Hannah

Monastery in Rome?

Does anybody know about a monastery in Rome where one can stay between the 23. till the 26.th of december this year. Last year I stayed in a monastery in Sabina, 60 km outside Rome. There was a guesthouse run by the nuns. Very peaceful, good food and friendly. I would like to do something like that again, but this time in Rome. <BR>The monastery of the Birgitta nuns is full, they cant take any more guests this Christmas. <BR> <BR>Does anybode know about another monastery in Rome, which has a guest house? <BR> <BR>Hannah

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Hannah <BR> <BR>http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/getaw...97/dest03.html <BR> <BR>This site might help you with your search. <BR> <BR>Good luck.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Rex

If I'm not mistaken, all of the places listed on the source cited by Helen are convents, not monasteries. You make mention of "monastery of the Birgitta nuns" - - and forgive me for correctig you, but I believe that a monastery is for monks and/or priests (men), whereas a convent is for nuns (women). But you will find lodging for men and for women at the convents listed on any of several sources. <BR> <BR>An even larger list of convents can be found on the Santa Susanna website at: <BR> <BR>http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.shtml <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Helen Donegan

Not quite right Rex <BR>Some nuns live in monasteries as well - enclosed orders for example. <BR>I believe some Americans use the name nunnery - but that has other meanings in British English.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Rex

Okay, Helen. Perhaps the problem is in the translation - - I don't actually know what Italian words are used for the kinds of places listed on the source(s) that you (and I) cited - - but Santa Susanna seems to refer to all of "them" as convents. <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:47 PM
KDenise

Check your local bookstore in the travel section. I picked up a very informative book before my trip that listed plenty of Monasteries and Convents throughout Italy, with prices, number of beds and when available, door-lock times, and even if anyone at the location spoke English. My trip last month saw me at 2 of the locations from the book - everything was true as posted, and the Sisters in Marina di Pisa were sweet as all get-out.