Monaco to Nice, best way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking the Oceania Barcelona-to-Venice cruise beginning Oct. 14. When we dock in Monaco, we would like to go directly to the Old Market (Cours Saleya) in Nice, spend some time there, and then return to the boat. We were there years ago and look forward to returning We have a quote for a private driver and car for four hours at $720USD. Are you familiar with public transportantion from the cruise ship docks to Nice, or a less expensive private means of getting there. (We don't want to rent a car this time.)

Full disclosure: I'm posting this on both the Europe and Cruise forums. I hope no one objects.

Joe
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would make my way to the train station in Monte Carlo and take a train over to Nice and then back again if I really wanted to save money.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 03:03 PM

Yes trains are fastest and get a waiting taxi at the station unless you want to walk the 3 km or so to seafront market area. Are you staying on boat overnight in Monaco? If so you may want to take a slower bus back from Nice (and the Gare Routiere is rather close to the market area you are going to) take a bus along one of the corniches - high-up road on cliff with great views over coast. Not sure how long buses take but if not much slower than train take one to Nice to as again the Gare Routiere or bus station is not far from that market area (unless bus station has been moved since I was last there!) No need to book anything in advance just buy at stations - avoid faster trains that may demand seat reservations before boarding and cost more than the frequent commuter trains that though slower are dirt cheap and with a valid ticket can take any one. But do check bus schedules as again probably takes you much closer to where you want to go.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 04:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Buses do this route too and follow the road along the waterfront.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 05:23 PM

I believe the bus station is a bit out of the port area, and we found no taxis available from the port in the morning; a couple we were walking with were told none were available until 11 a.m., and they were French-Canadians with no language issues. Best to get the train. From the port, walking about halfway down the harbor, is an inexpensive "cross harbor" shuttle boat which will cut down the walking time to the train station. Get a map from Guest Relations who'll also probably have a local onboard offering assistance for day trips. Once in Nice, grab a taxi to where you wish to go.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 06:45 PM

The train is the most direct but not scenic (goes through tunnels). The #100 bus is much more scenic going along the coast. You could do what I did (staying in Nice with a day trip to Monaco) and do bus one way, train back.

The train station in Nice is about a 20 minute walk from the old town (where the market is). There's also a tram from near (not at) the station to the old town that saves you about 2/3 of the walk. The walk is easy but nothing special.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 10:22 PM

You can arrange for a one way transfer via a reserved private car or get a taxi (risk of availability) for roughly 100E one way. Then you can return to your ship via Uber (1/2 price) or a more plentiful Nice taxi on your return. This gives you the private experience you desired without having to pay for an expensive Monegasque driver to wait around while you go shopping and have lunch. There is plenty to do on foot from any drop off point near the Cours Saleya market (if you have not been, take the elevator to the top of Le Chateau aka castle hill).

The bus is the cheapest but the 100 line terminates in the old Port area, a good distance away from the market, requiring a transfer. And note the location of both train stations, as suggested above.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 01:28 AM

720 USD for four hours. Why don't you rent a car yourself ? Pity I am not available, I would gladly be your chauffeur, easy driving no traffic jam in october... car costs about 50 e a day + what 25 € of gas and about 20 e of highway fees ?
Actually avoid the highway and take the 'corniche' scenic.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Car is a hassle in that area of Nice or anywhere in Nice - bus to me along coast makes best sense.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 09:19 AM

On this forum a car is always a hassle once somebody mentions a city. Yet in this specific case OP has to move to places.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What, Thibaut? they only have to move to ONE place: that market.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 12:05 PM

They want to go from cruise ship in Monaco to Nice market area and back. Why would a car be best for that - at the expense for one-day rental when buses practically go direct? Parking the car in Nice could be problematic. Can't see any rationale for car in this case.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 01:49 PM

can't see a rationale to spend 720 USD for a chauffeured car, but if you want to have the last word -you win.
I have never used trains or buses in the region, always having my car, and I have never had any problem parking -but again, you probablly know the region better than myself - after all, I only own a house there for 20 years, and go there 4 times a year, so you must be right.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 02:04 PM

OK I defer to your expertise - but really for a single trip to one pt and back for someone who says they don't want to rent a car this time - bus seems to make most sense. But if they want to rent a car what you say makes it sound easier to drive around than I thought and they could drive around the corniche roads too. Thanks for corrections and again I respect your take.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:33 AM

I loved the buses in Nice. Took it to Eze, Saint Jean Cap Ferrat, etc. If you're not in a hurry, taking the #100 bus will give you a more scenic view and save some money as well. I bought the 10 ride ticket in Nice, and it made each bus ride 1 euro. If you're on a budget, bus could be a good option. Train is always faster, but fees can add up if you go to a lot of destinations.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:07 AM

victorinevien, you are responding to posts that are a year or more old. This usually isn't terribly helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:27 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
But it was fun to read this thread, so thanks!

We took the train.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Realise, darling, that this thread is a year old, but just wanted to mention that Cours Selaya is a big waste of time. This a tourist dog-and-pony show.

There is a much better market behind the train trestle on Avenue Jean Medecin. This is a real market. There is a covered section that has food kiosks and cheese vendors.

Thin🍑
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Took the bus when we went to Monaco from Nice as it follows the shore line. There is certainly more to Nice than the Cours Saleya.