Reload this Page >

Mom's concerned about school trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Lily

My 14 year old son is planning to go to England next summer with a school trip (we are from Canada). We have to deposit a far sum of money within the next month or two (the money is non-refundable). Considering the horrific world events I am rethinking the trip. Any advice from others that are in the same situation? I recognize we cannot stop living our lives but considering it is my child I would not want to put him in harms way.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 01:32 PM
amy

If you are even rethinking this trip I think that you already have your answer.Your son is so young he has his whole adult life ahead of him to explore.Right now you are responsible for his well being and need to act accordingly.I'm an adult and can make my own choices so I will still be going to europe in a few weeks.I would suggest you hold off until political turmoil has played itself out.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 01:35 PM
candice

I have a 29 year old son living in Japan, and I worry about him! At 14 I think he can wait a while, until things are a little quieter-or do you plan on not sleeping for the duration of his trip Why not wait until the world has relaxed a little and all go as a family? <BR>Good luck~

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 01:41 PM
rhonda

Lily <BR> <BR>Surely the school wouldn't put their students at risk. One would hope that they'll evaluate things closer to the time and make a decision that is in the best interest of their pupils and families. <BR> <BR>We're still travelling and planning trips...life goes on. I'd be concerned that your son might feel left out if his pals are going and he isn't allowed. I'm sure their parents would have the same concerns. <BR> <BR>I say let him go if he wants..for what my opinion is worth. <BR> <BR>kind regards.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Bob Brown

Why do you think the next target will be another airliner? <BR>How do you know that the terrorists will not bomb the school?? <BR>If I were a terrorist my next target would be a big football stadium on Saturday afternoon when it was full. <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 02:25 PM
lindam

1. From the standpoint of terrorism I'd feel safe, at least right now, about sending my son to England. Whether England would be safe from him is another matter. <BR> <BR>2. However ... any travel firm that demands a non-refundable deposit now for travel next year is desreputable. There are any number of things that could happen between now and next year in world events that keep the trip from occurring. This is not the time to demand non-refundable deposits.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Lily

Thanks to all that replied. Bob, I didn't say I was concerned about the flying per say. While in England the students will be visiting all the tourist spots and that was where my main concerns lay. Considering the UK seems to be the #2 "enemy" I would think there is a chance of some terrorist activity on the tube or Big Ben, etc.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 03:39 PM
xxx

If you were prepared to send him before, go ahead and send him now. If he is in London, there is less chance he'll be gunned down in a school shooting.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 06:08 PM
mom

My 14 yo old just learned that her school cancelled the planned trip from NYC to Paris. Part of me is very relieved -- I was less worried about the airplane and more about an attack on a tourist destination. There is no wise answer. <BR>Take care.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Philip

If none of this had happened, you would be willing to send your child to England. Yet there have been terrorist attacks in London before this by the IRA. (The London tube has no trash cans in order to avoid bombs being planted in the undergroud stations). What has changed your mind? <BR> <BR>Don't teach your children fear by allowing them to miss opportunities because of what a terrorist may or may not do. The terrorists love it when you are afraid of them. <BR> <BR>In 4 years, your child may be required to enlist in the military and fight in a war. It is better that he learn how to face danger now and build his courage, rather than to learn it in the direct face of the enemy.