Moderately priced airport hotel, Rome

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Joe

Moderately priced airport hotel, Rome

I'm looking for a hotel ca. $100/day near the Rome airport for mid-October. Stayed at the airport Hilton last year as part of a package, but I'm looking for something less expensive now. I'll appreciate your help.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Lucy

A couple for your consideration:

At the Airport
Leonardo da Vinci/Fiumicino
Our Hotels | Others' Hotels | Airport Hotels | Apartments and B&Bs

Complete Index of Articles on Rome/Italy

he most important things to know about your hotel in Rome? Location, location, location. You want to be near sights, transportation and restaurants.

We hold this to be equally true even if you think you want an airport location. Unless you're getting in after 6pm the previous evening we think it's worth staying in the city for the sights, city life and, most important, the food. You'll find far better food in the city than at or near the airport. And, you may save money, or at least have a better choice of hotel.

Virtually any hotel in the city will be happy to arrange a taxi or car to pick you up in the morning, at whatever hour, and get you out to your flight. Traffic to the airport is usually not a big problem, and the trip from center city should take about 30 minutes.

If, nonetheless, for whatever reason you want to stay near the airport here are several choices.

Prices Approximate

Hilton Rome Airport, Via Arturo Ferrarin 2, Rome, Fiumicino
Phone 39-06-65258, fax 29-06-6556525. The only hotel on on the airport, and directly linked to all terminals. 'Rack rates' roughly ITL600,000 and up for a double in 2000. Despite the rack rates it appears they're having trouble obtaining business. We've heard of travelers paying as little as ITL250,000. Check their website ... and call ... to see if they have any 'specials' on offer.

Sheraton Roma, Viale del Pattinaggio 100, Rome, 00144
Phone 39-06-54531, fax 39-06-5940689. Timewise it's roughly halfway between the airport (15 miles - 20 minutes) and the center of the city (4 miles and 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.) Good to excellent modern facility, though no different than other 600-room hotels anywhere in the world. In an industrial setting. Shuttle bus service to/from airport and center city available. City service infrequent and last trip back is fairly early. Cab to the city is perhaps $15. Comfortable hotel but certainly no feel of being in Rome; inconvenient for sights and restaurants. Excellent deals often available, because of location, and often used for this reason by tour operators and cruise lines. 'Rack rate' about ITL520,000 and up for a double in 2000.

Holiday Inn Rome-EUR Parco dei Medici, Viale Castello della Magliana 65, Rome, 00148
Phone 39-06-65581, fax 39-06-6557005. The Parco is located just off the highway about 10 minutes from the airport and just 5 minutes or so from EUR. Shuttle bus service between hotel and airport and also the city. We've never heard praise of this hotel. Double rates ITL210,000 and up.
http://www.basshotels.com/holiday-inn?_franchisee=ROMDM

Hotel Mach 2, Via Portuense, 2465, 00054 Fiumicino - Roma
Phone 39-06-6506394, fax 39-06-6505855. Shuttle to and from the airport. Rates around ITL200,000 per room, double. Don't expect much atmosphere, but it's reputedly clean, comfortable and has a decent to good restaurant.
http://www.hotelmach2.it/english/homepage.htm

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Joy

Joe:

Last July, we stayed overnight at Hotel Mach Dui which was a 5-minute ride to the airport. The hotel is clean and comfortable, quiet inspite of it being near the airport. The rate of ~$98.00/room includes a big buffet breakfast. We would stay there again especially if we have an early morning flight out of Da Vinci. I also noticed several small hotels around the area but didn't take note of the names. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Joe

Lucy & Joy,

Thanks so much for the responses. The information is great, and I appreciate it.

Joe

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Sue

Hi,

This past summer I stayed the the Hotel Roma in Fiumicino. The area is OK, but the hotel was wonderful and has van service to the airport. We paid about $100. for three. I assume you want to be near the airport. the web is www.hotel-roma.it

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 04:46 PM
ellen

Go to www.venere.com or www.itwg.com and look for hotels in Fiumicino. You should find several to choose from.