Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Miss Potter Opens: Boon for Lake District?

Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

England's justly ballyhooed Lake District has been a tourist mecca for centuries and its lures caused many famous artists to hole up here, such as Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth for starters... but the district could experience even more a boost with the opening of the movie entitled "Miss Potter", which opened last weekend in NY and LA. Britain's national tourist office is ramping up to promote the district romantically portrayed in the film, which was filmed in Lake District spots like Derentwater, the lake where Beatrice Potter (Renee Zellweger) had a home; Ambleside where her family first took her to the district as a child, causing her to fall in love with the region, and the Yew Tree Farm, one of her retreats where Potter opened a tearoom (now a tony B&B with restored tea room (www.tree-farm.com). Hill Top, Potter's home now owned by the National Trust i believe is a few miles from Windermere, railhead for the Lake District. VisitBritain.com promises more info on the Potter stuff as they exploit it to the hilt.
Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:05 AM

If Ms Zellweger's charms translate, any success this film might have will probably do a lot more for tourism in parts of Tokyo:
(www.tiny.cc/zWFdQ)

And you really shouldn't get films' impact out of proportion. Worcester always seems completely free of Potter fans, and even platform 9.5 at Kings Cross - the most accessible cult location on the planet, surely? - never has more than a couple of Potties photographing themselves.
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

A fun way to get to Hill Top, the epicenter of the potentially Potter mania if the film is a hit is to go to Windermere and either stroll or bus down to Lake Windermere and take the quain chain ferry, a ferry pulled across the water by a chain, and then take footpaths two miles to Hill Top.

Derwent Water, a film venue, by the way i believe was the venue of a world boat speed record early last century - soemthing that seems incrongruous with its idyllic state. Maybe wrong about this but it was some lake near Hill Top.
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:50 AM

The film has had bad reviews, too twee for adults and too boring for children.

It's a pity because Beatrix Potter was an interesting person, a naturalist, landowner and breeder of Herdwick sheep as well as a writer.
Jul 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I just watched Miss Potter last night and thought I'd search the boards to see if there were any posts on how to access Hill Top Farm from London when I ran across this post.

I absolutely adored the movie. Fun and entertaining. Period movies are one of my weaknesses and as I had the extreme pleasure of reading Peter Rabbit when I was but a child this film was especially heart warming.
Jul 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I agree with you ChicagoDallas - lovely movie.

I recall seeing "84 Charing Cross Road" years ago (and still one of my all-time favorites), and London immediately went to the top of my "to see" list. I think movies do have an effect on choice of destinations.
Jul 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM

We were in the beautiful lake district for two rainy weeks, the last week of June and first week of July. We went to many of the places that appeared in the film, including Hill Top Farm and Yew Tree Farm which played Hill Top in the film. I took lots of photos so watch for my eventual trip report. It may take a while because of sorting through and choosing from and processing two 2GB memory cards! What can I say? There were so many photo ops! Plus I need to find time to write, of course!

I haven't had a chance to see the film yet but have asked for the DVD for my birthday so I can savour again the beauty of the lakes.

robjame, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Toronto GTG!
Jul 30th, 2007, 06:26 PM

I just watched "Miss Potter" yesterday, and again today along with the "extras" (nice job on the extras!).

It certainly made me want to visit the Lake District!

Loved the movie! I'm also very fond of period movies and this one was very nicely done.
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM

We watched "Miss Potter" last night at home on Netflix and found it absolutely charming. A "feel good" movie for people of all ages, lovely scenery, well acted, and historically quite correct (see Wikipedia). With today's emphasis on sex, violence, and bad language in films, "Miss Potter" was like a breath of fresh air. By all means, take the kids -- they will adore this film.