Millenium Plans

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 02:19 PM
Jackie

Millenium Plans

We are traveling to london for the millenium -- Wondering if anyone knows of special activities/celebrations. Any info would be helpful. thanks

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 07:35 PM
anna

Well, they've got that big millenium dome in Greenwich. You could start there. Sort of like a mini-world's-fair kind of thing.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 08:31 PM
Nigel Doran

It's going to be busy! There will be crowds galore, so my recommendation would be do something suitable to a pedestrian as transport, both public and private, will be at a premium.
The Dome would be a good idea, but you won't get in unless you are one of the great and the good (Prime Minister, Monarch etc.) or unless you win one of the 'Willy Wonka' style tickets set aside for the general public.
There are going to be spectacular fireworks, according to the planners, and there will be barges of fire travelling down the River Thames. I would suggest getting in contact with the British Tourist Authority (do a search for 'visit Britain') for more information.
Most people I know are working so as to get extra cash and lots of days of with which to go on a January 2nd holiday or are planning meals/drinks with families and friends. Celebrating N Y E in London is often fun, but often expensive and a little frustrating when it comes to getting transport home, so multiply that by several times to get a feel of what Dec. 31st 1999 might be like.
Some brewers have decided to keep their pubs closed, unsure that they'll be able to secure the services of their workers.
I don't want to be a party pooper, but just bear these things in mind when thinking about what you will do in a city of 10 million + on what's probably the most hyped day of our history so far.
Be sure to tune into our T V and radio. The B B C is planning a 24 hour worldwide spectacular, chasing New Year's Day across the world with tons of outside broadcasts etc.

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 03:14 AM
Jo

Consider Edinburgh for New Years instead - but book now! Hogmanay festival will be a lot of fun. But perhaps more fun would be celebrating Hogmanay in a smaller Scottish town. Me - I'm steering clear of the millions this New Years! Can't think of anything worse than being crammed in (unable to drink, eat, use a decent toilet...) with millions of people who you don't even know!

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 05:45 PM
Bob Evans

We are planning to go to London for New Years as well. Feel free to check out our list of informative links at http://home1.gte.net/bobevans . I think that you can easily have a good time, but do go with patience. The greenwich2000 site is most informative, but a little sketchy on definitive details (e.g., sample itineraries and such). Should be a blast in my opinion.