Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Military Base near Siena Italy, Lavorno?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 11:29 PM
Patti Edwards

Could anyone tell me where the US Military base near in Italy is (if more than one) closest to Siena or Florence. I am going to Siena and Florence this summer and want to use my APO from the base there to mail my purchases back. Any information? Thank you, <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 03:43 AM
Maira

The U.S. Dept of Defense has 5 military bases in Italy; 3 Navy (around Sicily area), 1 Air Force (Aviano- Pordenone, near Venice), and 1 Army Vincenza- near Florence. It is a big facility, highly secured. Bring any military ID you may have. <BR> <BR>I may be able to get you more specific info which I will e-mail to you.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 04:08 AM
Jeff

Patti, there is an Army base at Livorno (Camp Darby to be exact) and if you have a military ID, you are welcome on the base to use the facilities. Keep in mind that if you are not stationed in Europe, you may not be able to use all of the facilities, i.e., post exchange or commissary, but certainly the post office will be at your disposal. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 04:40 AM
Maira

Patti, <BR> <BR>Camp Darby is a training area for all services and often described as "Tent city". Last time my husband was there he recalled it to be pretty rustic and closer to Pisa than to Florence. It may have been built up since '95.