Search

Milan - Venice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:47 AM
john

Milan - Venice

My wife and I are going to Italy in April and want to go dirctly from Milan to Venice.What is the easiest and quickest way by land to go from the Malpensa airport to Venice. How long will it take and are there suggestions for economic accomodation in Venice. <BR>Thanks <BR>John

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:54 AM
marj

I don't know how all the alternatives compare but we will be taking a plane from milan to venice. the ride is about an hour and the cost i believe was about $100 one way (we're returning from rome). The train probably costs less, I don't know the price. I think the train is somewhere between 2 - 3 hrs.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:15 AM
dale

the bus from malpensa to stazione central is a nominal charge and takes about 45 minutes. buy a train ticket in the station (eurostar preferred). the trip to venezia is aabout three hours. i recommend locanda san trovaso, a new seven room hotel in dorsoduro. private bath, friendly folks, about L200,000 per night. buon viaggio.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:41 AM
janice

Definitely consider flying - it's not difficult to change planes in Malpensa, and the flight is only about an hour. If, for some reason, you can't fly, the train is not a bad trip. But you do have to get into town, to the train station, and of course it takes three times as long on the train. But - the train gives you the most thrilling experience when you arrive: you slog through the usual "get your bags off the train and hike down the platform and into the station" routine, then walk out the doors and BANG! you're in Venice! The most wonderful, split-second shift of location I've ever experienced...

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:34 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, John <BR>Malpensa to Milano Centrale would take <BR>about one hour. From Milano Centrale to <BR>Venice S. L. station would be another 3 hours. Going by air would be the best <BR>tho the most expensive. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Meg

Everyone has their own preferences. We flew into Venice and took a water taxi to the hotel. The combination of everything was magical including the approach by water.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:40 AM
elaine

John <BR>Quickest and easiest will no doubt be the plane. <BR>Taking the train (which is what I did) is not in itself difficult, but <BR>I strongly recommend that you keep your luggage light and manageable because <BR>claiming my bags at Malpensa, getting them onto the bus, riding for 90 minutes in morning rush hour traffic to the Centrale station, getting the bags off the bus, boarding the train with the bags, finding my correct (reserved) seat, and stowing my bags, took A LOT out of me and I am not infirm.Once I was on the train, the ride was very pleasant, and my arrival and first canal ride were unforgettable. <BR>I have a Venice file with some suggestions on places to stay, if you'd like to see it, email me. <BR>Or do a search here for Venice hotel. <BR>good luck