Reload this Page >

Milan to Santa Margherita Rail

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Kelly

A friend and I are going to Italy at the end of Feb. We are flying into Malpensa (Milan), but have decided to skip the city and go to Santa Margherita as soon as we arrive. I am trying to figure out how we get from the airport to the train station. As far as I can tell, we have to travel the 30-40 minutes into the city center - and then take a train from Milan to Genoa. I am hoping that I am wrong- it will make for a very long day. Any tips or suggestions?

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Deena

Several years ago, we took an airport bus directly to the train terminal. We, however, chose to stay a day in Milan to get acclimated (after the long flight, we had a bad case of jet lag). The train from Milan will take you to Genoa and I believe you may have to change trains in Genoa to get to Santa Margherita. You may want to reconsider your choice to go directly to Santa Margherita right when you get arrive in Italy. I'd rest up a day and start the train trip the next day. Good luck, Kelly!

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Larry

Kelly, there is a bus, the "Malpensa Express" that makes regular runs from the train station to the airport and back. Takes about a half hour. The train does go to Genoa but we did not have to transfer to go to SML. You can sleep on the train - about 2 hours Milan to SML and it will be worth it - we stayed in SML 3 nights and loved it. You can do a search for "Italy train schedules" - I don't remember the site. The trains are neat but be sure to "validate" your ticket in the little yellow machine or you will be fined on board. Had two great meals at Da Alfredo in SML. Be sure to take the bus to Portofino and go to the castle for a great view. Nice area to have lunch outside (if it's not too cold at the end of Feb). e-mail me if you have questions.

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Paulo

Unless you can find a bus from the airport to Genoa, there's no way you may avoid Milan. Take the bus shuttle to Milano Centrale. There are direct trains departing Milano Centrale to Sta. Margherita Ligure - Portofino at 9:10am, 1:10pm, 2:00pm, 4:10pm, 6:10pm, 8:10pm and 9:10pm. Travel time is a shade over 2 hours. <BR>Paulo

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Paulo

If I'm not wrong, the shuttle bus from Malpensa to Centrale departs every 1/2 hour, starting at 7:30am. Your estimate of 40 minutes is ok. <BR><BR>Depending on the time your flight lands, you may have to wait close to 2 hours to catch the train ut from Milan (there's a train leaving at 11:10am with a change in Genoa). Prior to this, there's a train only at 9:10am. So, if you're NOT able to catch, the shuttles departing, respectively, at 8:00am, 1pm, 3pm or 5pm, chances are that if there's a bus departing to Genoa right after you've gone through customs, this may turn out faster alltogether. <BR><BR>My estimate is that the bus from Malpensa to Genoa takes 2 1/2 hours. from there, there are very frequent trains (every 1/2 hour) to Sta. Margherita with the trip taking 30-50 minutes depending on train. <BR><BR>Bus service between Malpensa and Genoa (P. Principe train station) is provided by Volpi (tel. +39 010 586511 or 581594), with departure from gate #17 in Terminal 1. Tickets must be bought in the arrivals area of Terminal 1 and should cost Lit 30,000/pax. <BR><BR>Paulo