Reload this Page >

Milan questions...

Search

Milan questions...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Steve Rosenthal

Milan questions...

We will be flying into Milan. Arriving 7:55am. We want to take the train to Venice. How long will it take to get thru customs and get the train station. What is the best way to get to the station from the airport (Malpensa). Do I need to make a reservation? If so, I am trying to determine which time to reserve. If not, can I just buy a ticket and get the next train? <BR>Thanks <BR>sr

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Catalana

I have flown into or out of Milano for all three trips I have made to Italy. It is very easy to get the bus that takes you directly from Malpensa to Stazione Centrale where you can catch a train to Venezia. Last time I went you purchased your ticket for the bus inside the terminal and waited for the bus right outside -- very easy, and if you don't speak Italian, Italians are wonderful and helpful, and even more so if you make an effort with Italian. I would guess a train of some variety runs between Milano and Venezia every hour or so. Make sure you are familiar with the different types of trains, but for this trip you probably will want to take a faster IC train. Probably would only stop in a few major cities. I have travelled all over Italy by train and have never made train reservations -- it is too hard to know when and where you will be exactly, and I've seen people who have made them from the US have all kinds of hassles trying to figure them out. I can recall only one occasion when I was unable to find a seat (and that was rush hour on a local run). Have you considered spending the night in Milan and taking a train in the morning. By the time you arrive, get past customs and immigration and get into the city it will be late and you'll probably be tired. How about staying in Milan for one night, having a rest, seeing one of the loveliest cathedrals in Italy, and then taking an early train to Venezia the next day? <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Paul

I agree. You should spend a day in Milan seeing the Cathedral (truely breathtaking), the Galleria across the street and La Scala museum through the end of the Galleria. Also, The Last Supper was wel worth seeing, but make reservations well in advance.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Steve Rosenthal

We were planning on pushing thru to Venice. We will be arriving at 7:55 in the morning and figured we will just push on thru. We are staying in Venice for 5 days at the Metropole, plenty of time to recover. Then to Florence for 4 days, and back to Milan probably to the Bernina across the street from the station, and will plan on getting into Milan early afternoon and going to the Duomo and La Scala that afternoon/evening. Then leave Milan at 10:30am the next day to return home.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Catalana

Steve - yeah, that makes sense. It won't be a problem to catch the bus and then the train to Venice, you'll be tired but can rest on the train and once you're in Venice (last stop probably, so you can't miss it . <BR> <BR>Unless you have lots of cash and don't mind spending it, the bus is the way to Stazione Centrale, a cab will cost a lot of money. I think its about a 50 minute drive - so it will take some time to get to the train. Catalana

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 09:04 AM
wes fowler

Steve, <BR>IC trains leave Milan's central station for Venice beginning at 9:05AM and every hour thereafter commencing at 11:05AM. No change of trains is involved and the trip is slightly less than three hours.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 09:16 AM
Paulo

The last two times I flew into Malpensa and had to find my way to Milano Centrale it took me between 2:00 and 2:30 hours (counted from landing time). You should be able to arrive in Venice around 2:00pm. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Janice

We just got back from this trip - without train reservations - the people at the ticket windows in Milan were very helpful (especially if you make ANY attempt to speak Italian). Take food with you, because food on the train was not great, and kind of expensive.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 11:16 AM
Cat

My experiences exactly. Italians have always gone out of their way to help me all over Italy (they can be a little cranky in Venice, but all those people make me a little cranky too). I speak about 25 words of Italian (including food words ) and everyone is incredibly helpful and willing to try to communicate, whether they speak english or not. My favorite Italian word is Prego -- it works wonders. Just try giving an elderly Italian your seat on a train, bus or vaporetto give a big grin and a "Prego." In return I've received everything from kisses to home made biscotti. Steve, have a great trip. Cat

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 09:35 AM
John

I agree with everything that has been said here with one exception. You should be warned at staying in a hotel on the Station Plaza in Milan. Although most of the hotels are nice and the area is pretty safe by day, it is a bit seedy at night. When I lived in Milan, it was well known as the place to get your drug fix at night. Even if you stay at a hotel near the Duomo or Piazza Reppublica, you are only 10 minutes from the train station which might be a good sacrifice for your safety if you want to walk around at night.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Janice

When we were in Milan, we stayed at the Hotel Superga - about 2 blocks behind the train station. Yes, the neighborhood isn't really glossy, but the hotel was wonderful, and really easy access to the train station. Just be smart and careful.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 05:01 PM
Joanna

I also stayed at a hotel near Milan Central Station back in '94. Checkout time was 10.00, but we were a little slow, and I don't know if I imagined it, but there seemed to be a loudspeaker in the room which I guessed was telling us (in Italian) to leave!!