Reload this Page >

Milan or the lakes??

Search

Milan or the lakes??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 04:54 PM
sandra

Milan or the lakes??

Hi! I'm planning a trip to the Lombardy region of Italy next March and am indecisive as to whether to spend the time in Milan or to visit the lake region. I've heard varying opinions about the lakes and am not sure where to go. Any suggestions? <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 05:25 PM
brian

Like asking whether to visit downtown Sacramento or Lake Tahoe, in my book.

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 07:00 PM
lola

A day in Milan and the rest in the lakes would be my choice--the "varied opinions" certainly wouldn't be about the lakes' beauty. Unanimous!

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 07:37 PM
Sally

Lake Como is lovely. We stayed three days at Varenna- very picturesque, quiet, and interesting. We used the ferry to go to Bellagio, and other nearby places.

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 05:20 AM
Dona

I agree - a day in Milan and the rest in the Lake Region - Como, Maggiore, Lago d'Orta, Lago di Garda - all wonderful...

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 06:19 AM
Jane

Sally, where did you stay in Varenna? I've been searching the Net for mid-range hotels in Lake Como, but it's hard to get a sense of the character of these accommodations. <BR> <BR>Can anyone else recommend good mid-range (less than Lit.400,000) hotels in Lake Como and Lake Maggiore? Details on charm, decor, hospitality of proprietors, etc. would also be much appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 11:50 AM
Martin

The lakes...YES! Our favorite is Lake Lugano, and we've stayed several times at a small, family run hotel (3 stars) called Stella d'Italia. It is in San Mamate, in Italy, about 10 km east of Lugano, Switzerland. It has an ideal setting on the lake, excellent restaurant, ferry boat calls a coule times a day for lake excursions...if you're looking for a memorable experience in a very small lake village, then this is the place. PLUS..the nearby Swiss city of Lugano is spectacular. Must have a car. <BR>