Reload this Page >

Milan - Day-trip to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 04:05 AM
Ross

Hello everyone!!! <BR> <BR>I will be travelling a great deal next month throughout Switzerland, France, and Italy. I will only have 2 or 3 days in Italy towards the end of my trip. I will be approaching Milan from the French Alps. I will need to stay in Milan at least 1 or 2 nights. Would it be reasonable to leave Milan early in the morning taking the train, and returning by train late at night? I know that most people find Venice to be the more beautiful of the two cities, it just that I don't think that I'll be able to deal with dragging my suitcase aound one more city, especially Venice with its'canals. Any suggestions? <BR>Please bear in mind that I have never visited Venice before, though I have travelled a good deal in Italy before. <BR> <BR>Thanks very much. <BR>Ross.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 05:40 AM
howard

It's doable, but why would you have to drag your suitcase along if you're returning to Milan the same day? I'm sure you can check your bag at the Milan station. But....only go if you promise to return for a longer period so that you really experience this glorious city!

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:00 PM
ricahrd j vicek

Good evening, Ross <BR>Yes, you can make it in one day, it is <BR>about a three hour trip from Milano to <BR>Venice, which you could get about ten <BR>hours in Venice. However if you are <BR>having two nights in Milano, would take <BR>off for one night in Venice and return <BR>the next day. Some fairly good hotels <BR>namely the Florida and Walter/Canal are <BR>within easy walking distance of the <BR>S. Lucia RR Station and also the Carlton <BR>Excutive just across the Grand Canal <BR>from the station. Richard of La Grange Park, IL...

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 02:02 AM
Liz

Just to confirm, you can check your bags at Milan station. Upstairs, and to the far left (as you look towards the trains)

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Janice

Dear Ross, <BR>Take a full night to stay in Venice - it's worth it to be there at sunset, and at dawn. Milan is okay - especially the Duomo (definitely go up on the roof) but Venice, nothing compares and it would be a pity to rush through it. How about checking your big bag in the Milan train station and just taking a small backpack or overnight bag to Venice?