Milan airport questions

Mar 1st, 2018, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Milan airport questions

I just noticed I have a 7 am flight to Toronto via Zurich. I gather I have to be at the airport at keast 2 hours prior. Has anyone stayed near the airport and taken an airport shuttle. I would prefer to spend my last night somewhere nicer than an airport though. Is it possible to get to the airport from Milan in time?
Mar 1st, 2018, 01:03 PM

For an international long-haul flight, it's usually 3 hours in advance, not 2.

My personal rule is that I am never more than a taxi ride away from my departure city. There's a reason I have this rule.
Mar 1st, 2018, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

I am sure that is a good rule.
Mar 1st, 2018, 01:50 PM

MXP is far outside of the city. We have stayed at Villa Malpensa several times. It is adjacent to the airport with a shuttle but it is an old Italian villa, doesn't feel like an airport hotel at all. Also, the restaurant is excellent.
Mar 1st, 2018, 03:03 PM

If there's a stopover in Zurich, it's not a long-haul international flight and two hours should be more than enough. Switzerland is even in the Schengen zone, although not in the EU, so there's no passport control.

For a flight that early, I'd prefer to stay at the airport. When leaving from Milan, we've stayed at this hotel:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/ris...-cervo.it.html

They have their own free shuttle, and are not in a vast rental car and off-site parking desert. They have a decent restaurant, frequented also by local residents.

To get there, I take the train from Milan and then a taxi to the hotel; it's quicker than waiting for their shuttle to arrive. Then I reserve the shuttle for getting back to the airport.
Mar 1st, 2018, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I will definately stay at the airport.
Mar 1st, 2018, 08:18 PM

>>If there's a stopover in Zurich, it's not a long-haul international flight and two hours should be more than enough. Switzerland is even in the Schengen zone, although not in the EU, so there's no passport control. <<

You probably know better than I do -- But the times I've connected in mainland Europe/Schengen on one ticket back to the states, the first leg is treated like an international flight because of the extra security for US-bound passengers, documents check, etc.
Mar 1st, 2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
For an international long-haul flight, it's usually 3 hours in advance, not 2.
Milan to Zurich is not quite an international long-haul flight.

Janisj, extra security for the first flight would be meaningless within the Schengen zone since the flights are treated as domestic.

Last edited by kerouac; Mar 1st, 2018 at 09:29 PM.
Mar 1st, 2018, 11:36 PM

The last time we used MXP we stayed in the middle of Milan (near LaScala) and took a taxi to the airport. Yes, you will have to get up early and yes it was more expensive than taking the Malpensa Express. The ONLY question you have to answer is: will it be worth it to do this?

The taxis run; your hotel can arrange one or you can arrange a car service transfer. You do not have to stay near the airport unless you want to.
Mar 2nd, 2018, 03:20 AM

The first Malpensa Express train from Milano Cadorna station leaves at 04.27 and arrives at 05.04 with a cost of €13. At that hour a taxi would take more or less the same time but will pick you up directly at your hotel and drop you directly at the departures level. There is normally a fixed fare of €90 but I am not sure if there is a supplement due to the early hour.

Two hours prior to departure is more than sufficient especially since you will probably be checking in at the Swiss counter at Malpensa. They are very efficient and since the plane to Zurich is not large you will not find long queues at check-in.

If you stay near the airport be aware of two things. If you take a taxi from the airport to the hotel note that not all taxi drivers (especially if it is a taxi from Milan) does not want to drop you off at a nearby hotel as they will have to join the back of the taxi queue at the airport awaiting someone who wants to go to Milan. Also check in advance from what hour your chosen hotel near the airport starts shuttle services to the airport.
Mar 2nd, 2018, 04:34 AM

You're mistaken, Janis. Most of the people on that flight to Zurich are going no further than Zurich. Why would they subject all of them to extra security and passport control for the sake of those going to the US?

​​​​​
​​​
Mar 2nd, 2018, 05:54 AM

The OP is leaving from Malpensa, and not Linate, right?
Mar 2nd, 2018, 06:41 AM

Holly - you are clearly unfamiliar with Milan's airports.

Linate is so close to the city centre that it is not much more than a 10 minute ride away especially at that time of the morning. Second, there are no flights from Linate to Zurich or anywhere else in Switzerland.
Mar 2nd, 2018, 07:49 AM

I am well aware that Linate is but a 10 minute ride from the city center. I am unfamiliar with the flights from Milan to anywhere in Switzerland. But, hey! Thanks for pointing that out!
Mar 2nd, 2018, 08:39 AM

Holly - - if you are aware how close Linate is to the centre of Milan why would anyone want to stay at a hotel so close to it?
Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:53 AM

I know the OP is flying 'domestically' from Milan to Zurich. And I've never done that connection. But for instance -- when I've connect at AMS or CDG with an ongoing flight to the US (when it is all one ticket) I've had a secondary screening and document check at my point of original departure. If they were separate tix - of course no issue, it would be strictly a domestic flight. But are you saying that when one is flying on one ticket to the States through a European hub, they wouldn't check passports/visas for the USA/etc in Milan? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm much more familiar inside the States since every single international flight I have to connect at some US hub. So at my little rinky dink local airport -- if my final destination is overseas, I have to check in in person, and they check all my documents. Even though my first leg is only to LAX or DFW or ORD.
Mar 2nd, 2018, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Holly_uncasdewar View Post
The OP is leaving from Malpensa, and not Linate, right?
yes I am leaving from Malpensa and I transfer to Zurich and go for another flight. It is going to be a long one.
Mar 3rd, 2018, 12:58 PM

If your final destination is the US (or other extra-Schengen destination) they do check your passport when you check in to the first flight. However, that adds no extra time to the checkin. When you are flying directly to an extra-Schengen destination, you have to go through exit passport control, where they scan your passport (and maybe stamp it) to keep track of your allowed stay. Then there's the extra security. These are the things that require more time, and you wouldn't incur them on the first leg of a trip within the EU.
Mar 3rd, 2018, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I still haven't decided what to do regarding the evening. I wish I had paid more attention to the early morning....
Mar 3rd, 2018, 04:02 PM

Depending on which airline you are flying, if it happens to be a US airline, it might be helpful to know that the US ticketing counters at Malpensa are NOT in the main terminal with the others. They are on one end and require an additional line/short screening. There is really not any signage to point you in the right direction either...We never allow for less than 3 hours at Malpensa, regardless of where we stay (we usually choose First Hotel Malpensa), of our connections, or our end destination. We also found Zurich to be huge in size (not difficult to navigate, but large). Good luck and happy travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO