Reload this Page >

Milan airport and train station to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:32 PM
MaryLee

We are planning to fly into Milan and catch a train to Florence. How best do we get from the Milan airport to the train station going to Florence. Must we catch a cab or shuttle to the downtown train station, or do trains leave directly from the airport & connect downtown Milan for train to Florence. Any help on this conncetion on our vacation to Italy will be appreciated.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:47 PM
GAC

You should take the AIRPORT BUS from Malpensa to Milano Stazione CENTRALE, from where you catch a direct train to Florence. Do NOT take the airport train from Malpensa, which goes into Milano Cadorna station. Airport Bus leaves every 20 minutes, and is extremely inexpensive (about 5 Euros). Taxi will run about 70 Euros.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:36 AM
MaryLee

To GAC, etc.: You suggest we take the AIRPORT BUS to CENTRALE Station which I assume is in or near downtown Milan. Approximately how long a trip in time (45 minutes,?), and do these buses allow for passengers with a suit case plus overnight travel bag? Perhaps this is stored underneath rather than overhead on the bus. There will be 6 of us in our travel party. Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:57 AM
GAC

Allow at least one hour for the transfer by bus to Milano Stazione Centrale (located in downtown Milano). Bus does indeed permit bags and suitcases (stowed in luggage compartment or with passenger). There are two different bus companies going to Milano Stazione Centrale (Malpensa Express and Malpensa Shuttle). Fare is nearly the same. Departures every 20 minutes from airport arrivals level.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Walter

I only did this connection once but this is a trip report I posted last March. Regards, Walter<BR>&lt;&lt;&lt;This was from Malpensa (MXP) Terminal 1 and very easy, from clearing Customs after baggage claim to the ticket booth to the bus stop are all just a "stone's throw" from each other. After you clear customs and enter into the terminal, the outside door exits are all marked. Inside between exit 5 & 6 is a ticket counter with a sign above it "Airport 2000". The bus stop is outside between exits 4 & 5. So after you buy your tickets go outside thru exit 5 and turn left and 20M ahead is bus stop No.4. My bus did make 1 stop before the train station but you'll know the station, you pass under an overpass (the train tracks) and turn right & stop alongside the (long) train station. I believe the ticket was only 8,000L which surprised me because in my planning notes I had ~13,000L and I started to worry that I bought the wrong ticket. It wasn't crowded when I took it in March but I have read one post of a crowded pushy mob all trying to board the bus. So have a Plan "B", peek outside if it's crowded go downstairs and take the Malpensa Express Train http://www.ferrovienord.it/webmxp/index.html to the Cardona Train Station and then a metro or taxi to the Centrale Train Station.<BR>