Reload this Page >

Mid-March--Praiano or Ravello?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
jgarvey

I have been scouring all of the threads for hotel recommendations for a 2-night stay on the coast in mid-March. After much research, I see that many posters prefer Praiano or Ravello for quiet and lovely. But it appears that most places on the Amalfi Coast are not opened until April.

First, which of the two towns do you prefer?

Second, can anyone recommend a small and personal hotel, reasonable price, lovely view that might be open in March?

DH and I looking for a quiet romantic getaway from Rome, 2 days.

Thanks for your time and advice. jg

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi JG,

We didn't stay here in Praiano, but it was on our short list.

www.continental-positano.it

I think it is open in mid-March.

The one we did stay at doesn't open until April.

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
jgarvey

Ira, thanks. I know about LeSirene. I have been looking and it with longing ever since I first read about it on your report. Alas, I wrote to them right away, but-as you say-they are not open until April. But thanks for the other suggestion. Will look at it right now.
jg

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:57 AM
ira

good luck, jg.

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
jgarvey

Ira, thanks for the many times that you have responded to my queries and given so generously of your time and experience. About Amalfi: as another poster suggested, I contacted the Office of Tourism in Positano, and they responded very quickly this morning with the recommendation of a lovely place in Positano called l'Alcione Residence, open in March. Right across the street from Sireneuse (?) with lovely rooms, apartments, and views. Also very reasonable rates. Take a look at the website. I wrote to them this morning but have not heard back yet. I believe it is more "residence" than hotel, but places to eat should be plentiful and nearby.

Onde Verde wrote back; they are also not open until April 1st. So, it is pretty clear that my options are rather limited, but this l'Alcione looks very lovely. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks to all for the assistance and good wishes. Houston, we are ready for countdown. I am so nervous and excited. jg

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I think I told you this before, but it seems the Best Western Hotel Pasitea
Via Pasitea, 207, Positano is open all year around. I stayed in an apartment near to it and it seemed like a nice place in your price range.

Look it up on Trip Advisor.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
jgarvey

SeaUrchin, yes of course you did. And, as you indicated, I did find that many were not open until April. I did look back on previous posts, however, and did not see this lastest one that you are recommending here.

If you look back through my last previous posts, I have send messages to a couple of the places that Ira mentioned and also to a name given to me by the Office of Tourism--l'Alcione Residence. Still waiting to hear back from them on rates, availability, etc.

Thanks so much for your continued interest and support. Will let you know if I lock something into place before I leave.

I hope that all travelers out there are doing well and surviving this brutal winter. You might want to know that I did, in fact, purchase some long silk underwear per your previous suggestion. But to tell you the truth, after these last couple of weeks in Chicago, Rome is going to feel like a summer vacation!

Almost finished packing, countdown is near. jg

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM

I hope you find a nice romantic place. If you cant, you can try Sorrento which has more going on all year. I have been in Positano in March and some of the hotels were open but I cant remember which ones. Praiano would still be asleep I would think.

I am sorry I thought I had mentioned the Best Western before.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM

jg - hope you find the perfect place. We are still trying to decide on where on the coast to go in June, although it looks like Capri. Please be sure to fill us in once you decide.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM

JGarvey:
I am just wondering why you are not considering Amalfi for your base. I am thinking about a simliar trip next year and have been soliciting information; it seems like Amalfi might be a good bet in the off-season. Since I hear Easter comes early this year, you might find more hotels open in March than you might have thought if you do some further checking.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM

That is a good idea, Amalfi, it is more of a regular town, like Sorrento. I really like Amalfi too. I find it sweet.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
ira

Hi JG,

If you end up in Amalfi, Praiano or Positano, I suggest that you take the train from Rome to Salerfno and then the SITA bus to wherever via Amalfi.

It's better than the Circumvesuviana link via Naples.

If the ferries are running, and its not cold, that's even better than the bus.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/j4ufa

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Have you considered Positano?
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
jgarvey

Thanks to all for the recent suggestions. The reason I have not chosen the coast as my base--some of you may recall--is because I am spending a whole month in an apartment in Rome as my base. DH is just visiting for the last week (2nd week of March). Since we have already seen most of the major high spots in Rome, I thought it would be nice to have a little jaunt to the coast to get away from some of the noise and chaos of Rome, just look at the water, nap (yes), eat, shop a little, and take a day trip to Capri, maybe take the bus to see some of the other towns you mention.

Any of those places would be great with me, if I can just find something open in March. Looks like I have a couple of good leads, just waiting to hear back from them on availability and rates.

SeaUrchin, that Best Western really looks lovely and right now their prices are very low for pre-season rates, and the do have availability for my dates.

Ira, thanks for the tip about the train to Salerno. As I was planning to go to Naples by train instead, this is very valuable advice and will certainly spare us some travel stress.

I will expand my search to Amalfi, Positano, and as well as a result of several of your suggestions. Thanks to everyone. Will let you know as soon as I settle on something.

Hey, ekscrunchy--did you mean that Easter is LATER this year (April 9th, I believe)? And that's why there are still some vacancies all the way through March? Think so. jg

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:32 AM

JGarvey, Actually I was confused about the arrival of Easter this year...my experience has been that many of the hotels in resort areas often open for the season a week or two before Easter. So many would be shut for most of the month of March. My mistake and I am sorry for passing along bad information.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Hello,
We liked Minori very much when we stayed on the Amalfi for more than a week. This small Bed and Breakfast was wonderful. The rooms were large, the terrace devine. Our room overlooked the harbor.
We could walk up the hill to Ravello, which we did a few times.
Take a look for
Free Holiday, I know they have a website.
Antonio, the owner, is charming.
cell 339-594-2021
email:
[email protected]
The rates are great, the breakfast fine. There's free parking on this quiet street. Antonio gave us some nice restaurant tips, too.
They greet you with a Limoncello!
For this recommendation, I should think you'd send me a bottle of Limoncello!
Cheers!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
jgarvey

Adrienne, thanks for the suggestion. The pictures indicate that this is exactly the kind of small, intimate accommodation that I love. Only problem is that my DH is a sailor and really loves a view of the sea, as close as he can get. It appears that this B&B is too far inland for his tastes. But again, I will keep it on my short list. Looks perfect for my tastes. jg

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
jgarvey

ira, I'm confused. Are you saying to take the train from Rome to Sorrento or Salerno--and from there bus to Positano? On this forum it looks like Salerno, but in your trip report it seems to be Sorrento.

BTW, still haven't heard back from that other place you suggested in Praiano, but have heard from l'Alcione, and they have availability and very low rates. Also looks like Great Western has the same. What do you think? jg

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM

while you are waiting for Ira's decision I feel I should make a disclaimer on the BW, it is not right over the water. as you can tell by the website it is further up the hill and across the street.

Have you tried Villa Franca or one of the hotels down by the sea? OK I will butt out now, have fun.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
jgarvey

SeaUrchin, please don't butt out! Your help has meant a lot to me over the past few months. About the Hotel Franco--not open until April 1st. It is very beautiful though. Will keep in mind for another time. Thanks for your responses to my many and varied questions.

Exactly how much travel experience do you have in Europe? It appears that you are knowledgeable on so many subjects. Your expertise has been invaluable to me and so many others on this site. Thanks again. jg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -