Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Michelangelo's cave/underground drawings in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Rena

I was watching a PBS special on Michelangelo a few months ago. The show mentioned about a war/conflict between the Church and the Medici's and somehow Michelangelo had to go into hiding. The Medici's hid him in some tunnel passage in Florence and being Michelangelo, he drew a whole bunch of stuff on the walls. They flashed the drawings on the show but didn't give too much detail. Has anyone heard of or been to this site?

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:51 AM
Betsy Thompson

I took a class on Michelangelo last year and have the info in my notes at home. Will try to get back to you tomorrow.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:21 PM
adrienne

That show was about the restoration of the Sistine Chapel. In Florence, Michelangelo sided with the Republicans against the Medicis and when the Medicis overthrew the Republicans Michelangelo went into hiding near the Medici Chapel. The entrance to the underground room was through the sacristy. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 02:49 PM
Kelley

The drawings are in a small room in the Cappelle Medicee in Florence. They don't advertise it or list ticket prices, but when you buy your tickets for the Chapel tell the person at the booth you would like to see the room with Michelangelo's drawings (they'll know what you're talking about). When I was there 2 years ago, it cost about 1000 lire extra; you can only go in a few people at a time, and a guide accompanies you. The room is very small, but it's fascinating to see the sketches up close and personal. Only takes a few minutes, but definitely worth it.