Michael Osman Paris tour guide info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have sent 2 emails to Michael and waiting for a reply. It has been about 2 weeks from my first request. Is this normal him? I don't want write again and become annoying.

We are planning our trip the beginning of March and really look forward to having him share his knowledge with us. I have read so many wonderful things about him on this site that I feel like I've been missing so much seeing Paris on my own until now. My friend and I are bringing daughter(26) & granddaughter(14)for their first trip to Paris.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:29 PM

He's wonderful. But sometimes he gets VERY behind in his email. It was worth the concern about not hearing right away. He is so highly though of on this board, I hope you get a date.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://groups.msn.com/DestinationParis

This is his forum, try posting him.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Hi. I wrote Michael earlier this week and he responded within a few days. He did apologize for being late. Maybe you should try writing once again. Did you have the correct address?
I've also read a number of great reports and would like his assistance with my kids. Keep at him. He seems to be worth the efforts.
Ellie
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

ELEARIT:
I'm glad to hear that he has replied to you. That is encouraging. It may be a good idea to send him another note. Will you kindly let me know the email address you contacted him with. I sent my email to [email protected].

Thanks
Danielle
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:52 PM

We toured with him last summer, and he was great. A couple of weeks before we left for France, I called him just to talk with him and make sure we were on (after several emails.) I got him on the phone right away.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Well, Parisfind (his AOL screen name) has been posting regularly for the last few days, today even, on the AOL Paris board. So, I can't imagine why he'd not be answering e-mails.

Be advised, however, that many internet providers with "new" "built in spam protection" filter your e-mail for you so that you do not receive replies. On AOL, (and I didn't realize this until friends insisted they had replied) the settings are really tricky, so it's entirely possible that Michael is not receiving YOUR e-mails.

I will e-mail him and let him know that folks are not hearing from him and let you know.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

I just sent Michael a copy of my original email from home (AOL). I sent the first one from work and sent myself a copy home. I received that one, but you never know, maybe he did not get it or, maybe he deleted it somehow. It happens. I hope I hear from him soon. We arrive in Paris 07Mar and it looks like he gets lots of requests. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 02:31 AM

I did receive a reply from Michael who tells me he answered your most recent e-mail by now.

He also mentioned that he does get a bit behind in responding when busy, but will improve upon this immediately.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 05:02 AM
cmt

I don't know why I opened this thread, since I'm not going to Paris any time soon and not planning to have a guide if I do go. But since I read this.... I don't know the man, but unless he's sick, experiencing a personal tragedy or emergency, or away, I think it's extremely rude for him not to reply to e-mails if he's running a business and potential customers need to contact him by e-mail. I'd be concerned whether he's reliable. It seems that it's doubly rude and perhaps not very truthful for him to give the excuse that he's been too busy to respond to e-mails when he knows that he's made himself very visible posting on AOL message boards or other Internet forums.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks, thank you for contacting Michael on my behalf. Indead he did respond almost immediately after I sent the last email. He is available for us during our stay and we very much look forward to sharing in his Paris knowledge.

cmt, you need to lighten up. When Michael responded to my mail he could have just written a short but sweet note if he was available or not. This seems to be a labor of love for this young man. He wrote a very lengthly letter and addressed all of my concerns and more. The reason he is so sought after is that he is not a "tour company".

I will be happy to post after our return. This message board continues to be the best source of information on the subject of European travel. Thanks everyone. Danielle
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:43 AM
cmt

Work2fly: You said <<cmt, you need to lighten up. When Michael responded to my mail he could have just written a short but sweet note if he was available or not. This seems to be a labor of love for this young man. He wrote a very lengthly letter and addressed all of my concerns and more. The reason he is so sought after is that he is not a "tour company".>>

I have two responses:
(1) I thought this person charged for his services. I didn't realize he was doing it as a volunteer service, rather than as a small business.
(2) When you post your personal business and concerns and worries on an Internet message board, you need to expect that diverse people may post their honest reactions and opinions, as I did, and not necessarily say "There, there, it'll all work out."
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:57 AM

work2fly, I agree with what cmt has told you. You were concerned that this tour guide hadn't contacted you sent him two emails and cmt just told you what is fact. Obviously nothing was wrong with this guy receiving and sending you a reply as he has replied to you in the end.
The problem is that he is charging for his guide services and it is unprofessional for him to have ignored your requests. Had the other person not intervened for you, it's likely you could have still been waiting for a reply.
He is running a business and for him to just say that he gets behind in answering emails is not a good excuse especially since he had time to post on message boards.
Most likely he realized the potential loss of your business that's why he finally wrote you that long message.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM

SOunds like a couple of you don't want to do business with Michael. Goody, more spaces for those of us that want him, warts & all!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:56 AM

Not that I wish to take this tour guide's availability from you janeg; you are more than welcome to take my place but that was not the point. You missed it totally.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Again let me say the posters on this board have given very valuable information. Thank you again for sharing.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
He is very busy, even the off season has him booked. Some people are so negative about people they do not know. I also emailed Michael, work2fly,
that you were concerned not hearing from him.
There are few here who put him down because their friends are also guides.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:26 AM

work2fly:

You will enjoy your time wityh Michael Osman. He is unbelievably reasonable, exceptionally knowledgeable and an all around nice guy. He doesn't take you places so he can get a kickback and will really help you get the flavor of the areas he takes you to. My wife generally doesn't like tour guides but after our first day with him, I asked her if she wanted to use him for a second day and she was happy to have him with us for a second day. You will do a lot of walking and may get around by bus or metro, but you will be thrilled with what you see. He excels in the art museums. Have a great time in Paris!

Steve
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:34 AM

I hesitate to post a "testimonial" as, over the past few years Michael has become a friend as well as my Paris guide of choice, so I am "biased"

What I *AM* getting is sense that several of you are commenting on a person's motives when you have not a clue what they are.

If you want a perfectly organized businessman for a guide, be my guest. As was said -- that leaves more time for those of us who value Michael's insight and generosity of time and spirit.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:48 AM

I have no intention of hiring this tour guide so that leaves another open space. And I have no interest with any other tour guide that I'm trying to take away this person's business from him.
I am just saying that as much as he had time to post messages that he could have responded to this person's email, that is all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -