Metropole, Amigo, or Le Dixseptieme?

Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:13 PM
candace

Metropole, Amigo, or Le Dixseptieme?

My husband and I are planning a 3 night weekend in Brussels at the end of March 2002. We're deciding where to stay from the list of hotels, but can't decifer the difference in the room descriptions. We're looking for something comparable to suite w/ a King bed near the Grand Place. Also, we're hoping the hotel might provide us w/ a transport to and from the airport (fee?). If you've stayed in any of the 3 hotels I've mentioned, what type of room would you reccommend (style, floor, location, etc.) Thanks in advance for your input

Jun 23rd, 2001, 10:27 PM
Santa Chiara

I have stayed in the Dixseptieme, and it was beautiful, truly a boutique hotel. I had a single room, so I don't know the availability of a king-sized bed. For the kind of services you want, you would probably be better at the Amigo, which would also probably be able to provide transportation to and from the airport, although I find the train very convenient. It leaves from inside the airport and takes you to within a few blocks--or about five minutes--from Grand Place. Although there are taxis at the train station, I doubt they will take you to your hotel since it is so close.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 11:50 PM
PB

The Metropole is a beautiful old hotel, but not as close to the Grand Place as the Amigo. The Amigo was totally redone several years ago, and has always been a great place to stay. Steps from the Grand Place, and only about five minutes walk to the Central Train station where you can get the shuttle train to the airport. Frankly the train is faster, as traffic has gotten so much heavier over the past couple of years.

PB

Jun 26th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Larry DB

Candace,
My wife and I stayed at the Metropole for a three-night weekend just last month, and found it to be an excellent value. We made our reservation through the hotel website, www.metropolehotel.be, and took advantage of a weekend special with a guaranteed rate of US$110 per night.
While that got us a standard room with no real view, it was clean, spacious and comfortable, with a queen-sized bed, a big wardrobe and a roomy bathroom. I'm sure you could upgrade to a suite for an additional charge.
The service was friendly, breakfast (included in the room charge) was a very generous spread of fresh pastries, fruit, eggs and meats.
The "Cafe Metropole" serves a good lunch and you can people-watch from the sidewalk tables.
Our dinner in the "Alban Chambon" restaurant was our first meal in Brussels, and it set a high standard for service, style and quality.
The entire hotel has a "Grand Hotel" feel, which we enjoyed very much.
I don't know about service to the airport, but the De Brouckere Metro is right outside the front door.
The walk to the Grand Place takes about ten minutes. Enjoy your visit!

Jun 26th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Deena

I loved the Le Dixseptieme. We stayed there three years ago and found the location perfect and the rooms oozing with charm. The staff was great. We took the train from the airport and it was a very short walk to the hotel. The Metropole was a bit farther away from the sites. We had a lovely suite (at the Le Dixseptieme) and had a separate living room with beautiful old beams in the ceiling. Our bedroom was in the back away from the street so it was peaceful. I thought the price was reasonable for the suite, location, and quality.

Jul 10th, 2001, 05:19 PM
candace

thanks so much for all of your advice - now on to Brugge....