metro vs. city bus

Search

metro vs. city bus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metro vs. city bus

We will be arriving in Paris tomorrow via Eurostar and it has been recommended that we take the metro or bus from the train station to the Holiday Inn on Republique. Does anyone know how many euros per person for each and do you need exact change? Also since I only have paper euros is there a change machine in the train station>
Thank you to everyone who has responded to my questions. You have made my planning muich easier.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM

You might just as well buy a carnet of 10 tickets , good for either metro or bus. There are ticket windows at Gare du Nord Metro station. They will make change or you can charge them. Personally with luggage I'd take a cab. Stairs in the metro and noy much space for luggage on buses
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM
yk

I agree with getting a carnet. We just buy them from a ticket window.

If you decide to take the bus, make sure you validate your ticket with the machine when you first get on the bus.

The carnet comes out to 1,14 euros per ticket (you have to buy the carnet which is 10 tickets for 11,40 euros).
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM

How long will you be there? The Navigo card is 16.20E plus a one time 5E fee. It is good from Monday AM to midnight Sunday. If you are planning on using the Metro/bus a lot and you will be there for the week it is a much better value. Just bring a 1"x 1" photo and get it at the station.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM

If you would rather take public transport, rather than a taxi, there is a metro station in Gare du Nord. Simply go to the ticket booth and ask for a carnet (car - nay). That is a batch of ten tickets for either the Metro or bus. Cost about €11.40 for the ten. Each is good for one ride.

If you have a lot of luggage, it might be wise to take a cab. The distance is not very great from the Gare to Place de Republique.

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM

We usually get a combination of <I>Mobilis</i> one-day passes and <I>Tickets Jeunes</i> for our under 26ers on weekends. Then we just grab any train or bus we want to without worrying about how many <I>carnet</i> tickets we will need during our stay. This strategy is often cheaper than buying a <I>Navigo</i> that we can't use up.