Reload this Page >

Message from the Editors: Travel Talk Returns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Fodor's Editors

We're so sorry for the inconvenience caused by the technical difficulties we've had with the forums this week. We've tried very hard to fix the bugs, but unfortunately the software we use to run the entire site stalls when traffic is heavy on Travel Talk. <BR> <BR>We're continuing to work with the vendor to solve the problem, but to spare our valued users any further grief, we've restored the previous version of Travel Talk until we can solve the problems with the new one. <BR> <BR>Thanks for all your e-mails with kind words of encouragement. And again, we're sorry for the inconvenience. <BR> <BR>Yours truly, <BR> <BR> <BR>Danny Mangin <BR>Editorial Director <BR> <BR> <BR>Aisling Brennan <BR>Senior Producer

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Russ

We needed to wean ourselves a bit anyway...

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Rex

I used the time to get my old e-mail address up and working. There will be moew news soon about the possibility of a Fodorites' trip to Italy this fall. I'm glad to have my old e-mail address back and working correctly. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:09 AM
Judi

Danny and Aisling, <BR> <BR>We missed you but want you to know you are appreciated for all of your hard work.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Judy

It's back!!!!!!!! thank you, Fodors!

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Much Appreciated

Very much appreciate having it back in any shape or form. I have to admit I was lost without it. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Thyra

Thank heaven you're back!!!! In the past 4 days, I've: Decided upon, researched and booked an Anniversary get away to Catalina, researched, agonized and picked out, all of the hotels for our London, Brugges, Amsterdam, Copenhagen trip and that doesn't even HAPPEN until 2002! At the rate I am going, if you'd been down for any longer we would have had to declare bankruptcy!

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Maira

Thanks for the note and keeping us posted. I did liked the new format very much; didn't care for the speed and the obvious "bugs", though. Take your time, we'll stick around

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Ger

Just adding my note of thanks for all the hard work you must have put in over the last few days. I'm sure you had many late hours (I've been there many times with technology implementations!). Hope you get a chance to enjoy the weekend. <BR> <BR>I loved the new format but am glad to have the board back in any format at all! <BR> <BR>Regards

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Ron

A terrific site. Hope you can solve the problem but much prefer this format.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Maggie

Soooo glad to have you back---in either format!!! This is a great site and thank you.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 08:21 PM
Dr. Betty

It appears you've go a bunch of lifers here. We certainly can live with you, but if you can live with "us," now that's a marriage made in heaven. So glad you keep coming back. <BR>Dr. Betty

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 11:12 AM
John

Hi, <BR> <BR>Will we be getting back the ability to e-mail individual discussion threads directly from this website to an e-mail address? I miss that functionality. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Rex

This is one thing that is not that hard to do even with this old format. <BR> <BR>When you right click on any thread, and click on "Copy Shortcut" you get a monstrously long URL (in your cliboard), that looks like this (here is the one for this particular thread) - - I am intentionally breaking it into pieces so that it doesn't require scrolling way to the right/left - - <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossroads.cgi <BR>forumname=Europe&forum=2& <BR>topicname=Message%20from%20the%20Editors%3a%20 Travel%20Talk%20Returns& <BR>topic=1288174&atomic=messagesframe& <BR>keyword=&string=&messagesframe=messagesframe%5 fintro&last%5fprinted%5frecord=& <BR>last%5factivity=&active=5& <BR> <BR>This is way overkill. <BR> <BR>You can jump directly to this thread with only two of the "elements" listed after the "cgi?" - - like so: <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...messagesframe& <BR> <BR>You can cut and paste this into any ordinary e-mail, and your friends will be able to go directly to any thread you want. <BR> <BR>But you can't list it here on Fodor's (as long as we are stuck here in this old format) - - or more accurately, it won't be a "hot link" ("clickable") here on the forum. <BR>