Mesmerizing moments in Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to study German at the Goethe Institute in Munich in late summer and then spend an additional couple of weeks in and around the city (planning to be out before Oktoberfest). Goal of the additional stay is to force myself to try to actually use the language (I say "try" because Germans love to show how well they speak English) with the people who live, work and play there. I've read literally dozens of books, articles and blogs about what to see and do in Munich. But I wonder what you've found that surprised and pleased you about Munich, especially those "finds" that perhaps haven't found their way into a guide book or blog. Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 10:43 AM

I love the Chinese Pogoda in the Englischer Gardens - it is an outdoor beer garden but also serves traditional German beer hall grub - huge pretzels, all kinds of wursts, etc but it the joie de vivre endemic in any German beer gardens - the singing to beer hall songs that I love and on a nice day in the midst of greenery so so sweet.

And Englisher Gardens on a nice day draws many folks of all ages to sunbathe, play frisbee, etc. And there is now surf boarding in the park in a roaring cascade you can also swim in! (see link below) and you may even see folks sunbathing au naturel right next to walking paths (though I hear this is fading - last I was there several years ago there were hundreds all over the park - most obese middle-age folks it seemed.

So on a nice day head for Englisher Gardens:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...nich%20imagges

http://www.adventurouskate.com/kicki...ischer-garden/
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 10:51 AM

I still remember eating in one of the biggest brauereie, and being seated next to complete strangers. Polish on one side, Aussies on the other. What an evening it was !!!
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I kinda agree about that crazy pagoda...fun place to have a bite, too.

I wish I actually spoke German so I could understand the operas in that great house, or at least read the surtitles but no luck.

I have always been "pleased" with some of the museums and sights/sites including the Residenze, etc., despite they're not being unknown to most.

Enjoy your time there; IMO a wonderful city.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Just a couple of blocks from Marienplatz, is the Viktualienmarkt, Munich's daily outdoor farmers market. There are so many fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, pastries, flowers and other things being offered at the market. The displays are great and the quality of the food being offered is excellent. There are even beer gardens right in the middle of the Viktualienmarkt. There are also performers. I always find the best gifts to take back home. I hate to say this but missed this three times in Munich. Now it is one of my must go places.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Certainly the "Asam church", more formally known as St. Johann Nepomuk, about a 20 minute walk from the Marienplatz. The interior is a masterpiece.

Also, St Anna in Lehel, which is in a lovely residental quarter of Munich and has a weekend farmer's market (organic).

For museums, the Lenbachaus seems to me THE essential art museum of Munich, with its fabulous collection. My recommendation is to tour the rooms "backward", rather than chronologically, so you see the 20th c. art first.

Lastly, one of my favorite museums in all of Europe is the Bavarian National Museum in Munich, and extraordinary treasure house of pre-industrial handcraft done by Bavaria's greatest craftsmen, whose skills were utterly lost in the advent of the industrial revolution. The collection is eclectic and fascinating, impossible to describe in it richness and revelation. The museum building is a unique, purpose-built construction, a fascinaton in itself.

All these are no doubt listed in guidebooks, but often get listed almost as secondary sights, but I highly recommend them.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 08:03 AM

http://www.destination-munich.com/va...dt-museum.html

Yes a very whacky museum!
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 08:19 AM

<<I wish I actually spoke German so I could understand the operas in that great house>>

Even if German is your native language you do not understand the operas.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM

I was only in Munich for two days but I agree with Whathello. The beer halls were fun. After a few beers on our last night, my daughters and I were walking back to our hotel and stopped to listen to Balkan Konnection (street performers). It was snowing lightly, there was about 50-60 almost all Germans bopping along singing with the band. It's was actually mesmerizing as we tried to figure out why we woukd know this German song. Then we realized the band was doing Nirvana's Teen Spirit. Very fun!

This was really a great ending to a mother/ daughter trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 09:55 AM

http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/12...cardigasse.htm

My husband took me to Shirkers alley one trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 11:07 AM

The World War II history through out Europe is mesmerizing. It's hard to not think about Hitler and the Nazi party when your at the hofbrauhaus. Germany has done an admirable job dealing with their past.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 11:17 AM

????
Don't see the link.
I think more about the Nazism when visiting Dachau, easily reached by S or U bahn.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 02:39 PM

My husband absolutely loved the science museum out on an island in the river (but reachable by the Ubahn).
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 03:54 AM

+1 on the Chinese Pogoda in the Englischer Gardens. We were there in mid-August, and it was a bit rainy. Our last full day was a Sunday, and the weather cleared. That place was packed, and it was soo.. fun. Just a lovely atmosphere. Great beer, food, very energetic place to be. I could spend so much time there, and it was an easy tram ride for us to get there, too.
We also quite enjoyed the Viktualienmarkt, too. Again, just a real fun atmosphere, a great place to relax, enjoy a beer and some nice food and watch the world go by.
Finally, I'm a bit of a gear head, so the BMW World and Museum was a lot of fun. Check in advance for a factory tour. We weren't able to go on one because the factory was mostly shut down for holiday season, but if you can get a tour, and enjoy cars (or robots that make cars) that would be a nice way to spend a day...
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 04:05 AM

BMW tour is great!