Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mentone Hotel Or Jenkins Hotel in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Marty

I am still looking for a triple room for around 100 pounds in London for March. It seems like every time I settle on one, I read a bad review when I do a search! The information on the board on the Jenkins is fairly old. Does anybody have a more up-to-date opinion? Has anyone stayed in the Mentone which is close by to the Jenkin? Again, I got burned in London 3 years ago on a flophouse that looked fine on the internet, and since I am booking for others, I don't want any bad surprises. We will only be there for 3 days, so I don't want to have to hunt up a new place!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:29 AM
s.fowler

From what I remember from the discussion on this board the Mentone is a *dump*. In the same area I wojld recommend St. Margaret's Hotel. Very simple. Threadbare but *spotless* If a search for my earlier posts doesn;t bring them up let me know and I'll post more. It's on Bedford St., owneds by the Duke of Bedford and run by the same Italian family for him for the last 45 years. Check Fodor's. I think it is still one of their recommendations.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:40 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I don't know if this helps or not, there is a nice current comment on the Jenkins at <BR>http://dest.travelocity.com/DestGuides/ <BR>0,1840,TRAVELOCITY%7C2477%7C3%7C1%7C172076,00. html

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Marty

...and, one year later, I can say that I stayed there in a triple room. It was very small, but immaculate. The shower was in the tiny bathroom that is typical of so many B&B's in London. The little breakfast room was nice, as were the hosts. We got a full cooked breakfast with the price of the hotel, which saved us a lot. You must like dogs, because they do have two very calm Labs that walk the place. I will stay there again. I liked the location, also.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:00 PM
bettyk

I thought the Jenkins' connection to Agatha Christie's Poirot series was interesting since I am a big fan. Maybe I'll stay there on my next trip. Thanks for the update.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 07:06 PM
chuck bertuch

Marty:<BR><BR>Which of the hotels did you stay at? We're considering the Mentone.<BR><BR>thanks