Reload this Page >

Mens Swimming Attire In France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:39 AM
Buzzy

I have a question regarding mens swimming attire in France and some other European countries.

Why do they insist that men wear the original fitted type of swimming trunks instead of swimming shorts in the pools? Most men opt for swimming shorts these days and they are purpose made in fabrics designed for use in pools, lakes or the sea. They are not shorts in the same sense as shorts worn on the street. I can't understand why the French object to them.

I think shorts are a lot more decent for a man to wear on the beach than tight trunks which means a man cannot avoid showing the outline of everything he has got. I particularly feel embarrassed when all these guys are stretched out by the pool with all their bits bulging and my children are seeing them in all their glory.

Am I just a prude or what?

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's insisting? That makes no sense to me. As far as I know, the Swimwear Police don't exist. Wear what's comfortable, geez.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:37 AM

At least in Germany there's no objection to swimming shorts. They're pretty common especially with the younger guys.
Even though I prefer to see them in the tight shorts ;-)

Buzzy, I'd guess your kids already know that men have something in their pants that women don't have - and besides this very basic fact of life your children won't be bothered with much more detail...
Except if you go to one of the beaches where you're allowed to bathe en nature, naked.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:51 AM

Some (not all) municipal French swimming pools require men to wear trunks rather than shorts, and some also require swimmers to wear a swimming cap. It's some rule to do with hygiene ("hair containment", perhaps?)
However, this "rule" does not apply on the beaches, and while some French guys wear trunks, many others shudder at the thought, and wouldn't be seen dead in anything but shorts.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:01 AM
Buzzy

We have been visiting France since 1999 and most of the time have used lakes or beaches. Last year we went to a local pool and hoped my husband would get away with wearing his swimming shorts. When the pool attendant realised that my husband was not wering trunks he was asked to leave the pool. This was in the small village of Mereville in the Ile De France region near Etampes. I was amazed they were so insistent on the rule.

Re: Swimming caps the rules regarding those seem more understandable although what happens to men with hairy bodies. Should they encase themselves in cling film before a swim in case they drop a hair in the pool? Re: hygiene and trunks I don't see that a penis is more hygenic squeezed into a pair of trunks than in a pair of shorts do you?

Signed The Prude

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:41 AM
ira

Hi all,

On an earlier post, someone mentioned that shorts were not permitted because people wear them as regular clothes and they are not hygienic.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:03 AM
Degas

Me and the wife were rudely asked to leave a city pool this past June by a haughty Frenchman who spoke terrible English and who's foul breath reminded me of goat cheese and sardines soufflé gone bad.

It was an ugly and totally uncalled for international incident. We had spent a great deal of time assembling our picnic supplies and elbowing our way into a shady spot. A few minutes before we had neatly spread out a sheet from the hotel (what's a few more stains?) and strategically arrayed our usual lounging essentials: 10 foot retractable flagpole with oversized American flag, battery-operated fan with red, white and blue blades, giant-sized Mickey and Minnie Mouse fly swatters, trunk-sized boom box with our favorite tape "Toe Tapping Tunes to Shell Peas and Husk Corn By," toenail clippers, mud mask warmer, foot itch spray, Dolly Parton back scratchier, and economy-sized toilet paper roll.

I was wearing my best cut-off blue jeans and the wife had on a very fancy Wal-Mart swimsuit (pink with yellow and white daisies) designed to enhance her generous rear-end and flabby pale white "cottage cheese" legs.

We quickly lathered up with some old family recipe suntan oil (Iodine and Crisco), took a few bites from our MacDonald's hamburgers, cranked up the boom box and started doing a few belly-flops to get in the mood for some serious laughs.

Then the trouble started just as it often does. A gaggle of rail-thin French women started with the excited whispering and finger pointing. You know how those sex-starved foreign babes can get when they first see a husky man with a good farmer's tan and a few knife-fight scars on a hairy back.

Then all the sissy men in those obscene shorts started to gawk at the wife like they never seen a full-figured woman bounce on the end of a diving board and let out a few rebel yells.

They pranced around a bit trying to impress me with their little tiny "packages', but I gave them more than they bargained and showed them what a real man has in his ragged jeans!

Next thing you know a snotty little pool manager shows up with a real bad "attitude" problem and asks us to leave. We eventually did, but not before relieving ourselves in the pool.

We still chuckle at how we taught those arrogant, garlic-eating poodle-walkers not to mess with Americans.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:22 AM

Degas, you're a rude so and so but gawlee gee you're funny. I'm rollin', LOL.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:24 AM

Buzzy, I didn't invent the rule! I'm just explaining the way things work in France. Lots of rules seem illogical wen you're not used to them.

You can wear shorts to go swimming in lakes and in the sea, and in pools at hotels or private villas, gites or whatever. That's my experience, anyway. (was at a hotel in Britanny last month, 2 of my French friends swam in the pool in their swimming shorts, neither was arrested).
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:24 AM

wen??? I mean when, of course
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:47 AM
Buzzy

It seems to me they must have banned all shorts in case "God Forbid" any nasty smelly people contaminate their pool with "street shorts". Most sportswear shops now have only one or two pairs of "tight" posseurs trunks available and the rest of the shelves are full of swimming shorts to cater for the "majority" who wear them. Isn't it about time they realised that not all people wearing "swimming shorts" are lazy, smelly, dirty types who are jumping straight into the pool in their everyday gear.

Perhaps the answer is for the pool attendant to look down each mans shorts before swimming just to make sure that nothing nasty will enter the pool.

Prudy

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:48 AM
ChatNoir

Degas - I bet you have quite a set of muscles from milking all those cows and lifting those heavy bales of hay.

Does your wife use "The Firm" or do you two live too far out in the sticks to get cable TV?

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:49 AM

Degas
Funny. Reminds me of the old days when this board had lots of humor. Seldom see any now due to the fear that banishment awaits anyone that dares try to be funny. Hopefully you have not been drug out of your office by the forum police and taken in for "education".....
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:57 AM
Degas

RE: Curt and ChatNoir

1. I drove all the way to Atlanta to get my honey bunch a mess of "The Firm" tapes. They darm sure work - she's down to 290 in less than a month.

2. Office work is not my style - give me sunshine and fresh air and lord, please keep me away from those concrete boxes they call office buildings.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:10 AM
donnabee

Degas - maybe they never saw your cut off swim trunks because your big fat beer gut was hanging over them.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:17 AM

Question: How come men get to wear shorts and be fashionable and women have to wear the tiniest suits before being considered "sexy"?

Degas, any minute now the thought police are going to lock you up, but in the meantime keep the posts coming!
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:26 AM
Degas

RE: donnabee

My "beer gut"? How very insensitive of you. City folks can be so mean and cruel sometimes.

We are simple country folks, whose problem stems from a slow metabolism, being big-boned and also being genetically unable to resist fried foods, butter and sugar.

I rarely drink more than a six pack of beer a day, and less than two cases on the weekend. That is hardly enough to make my blue jeans tight.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:33 AM
donnabee

Good comeback....that's why they now make the "stretch" jeans.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:37 AM

Degas,
good one! I especially liked the imagery of the knife fight scars on the hairy back.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:38 AM

I've never heard that you cannot wear swimming shorts in municipal pools, but I can assure you that anywhere else nearly all men wear shorts for swimming, preferably the ones from Villbrequin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -