Reload this Page >

Men Wearing Shorts in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:18 AM
John

I have been reading about what women should and should not wear, but what about men. Can men wear shorts to churches, etc. or is that not appropriate in Italy?

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Myer

We just returned from Rome a couple of days ago.<BR><BR>Virtually nobody wears shorts in the cities.<BR><BR>We were in the Sorrento area for a few days as well. Many people wore shorts there (and Capri and Amalfi Coast,etc).<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:48 AM
John

Thank you for the reply. I guess it doesnt matter that it will be July and hot...I guess they will not wear shorts anywat...

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Myer

John,<BR>Shorts aren't really cooler than long pants. They keep the sun off your legs. I think it has more to do with the fabric. Fashion is not my department but I think the choice between long and short is more a choice than a hot not so hot thing.<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:58 AM
John

I guess my question really is this: I am going to Rome in July and I will be visting churches, etc. Should I just wear pants so as not to worry about dress codes, etc. I just don't want to look out of place.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM
European

Wear pants, save the shorts for beach towns. Shorts are not appropriate for churches.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
xxx

John, wear what ever you wish, I wear shorts in Italy with no problems at all. Shorts are more comfortable to me than pants, regardless of the material, plus in July. You will have no problems.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Capo

Hi John. I love being a dissenter about shorts (and tank-tops, etc.) in churches. While they're not considered appropriate attire by religious officials and many other people, I consider them appropriate and if I ran a church would definitely allow them. Furthermore, I suspect God couldn't care less what you wear, caring far more about what's in your heart than what's on your body. <BR><BR>That being said, I (and God) don't make the rules for churches, so to be safe and respectful -- not to God, but to other people's aesthetic and/or religious sensibilities -- you'd best not bare your legs and knees (and shoulders and, I think, feet) in churches in Italy. <BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Jeff W

I was in Rome and Florence last year in late May early June. At first my wife and I wore long pants everywhere but noticed that many people--both men and women were allowed into Churches in Florence and Rome wearing bermuda shorts if they cover your knees. I think the Vatican ws the only place where you had to wear long pants. A suggestion is capris. However, women who did not cover their bare shoulders were not allowed into many churches unless they had a shawl or wrap.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:34 AM
LJ

I can't speak for God, but I do believe she just might draw the line at the idea of men in capri pants...

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:45 AM
John

Thank you all for your replies...

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:47 AM
God

Rush Limbaugh in capri pants would be an abomination before me and I would be forced to smite him. On all other men, capri pants would be fine, as long as they're weren't worn with black socks.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:41 AM
jenviolin

al contratio, black is assuredly the only color socks a roman man would consider wearing with his capri pants, lest he be branded a tourist.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:39 PM
jeff w

With respect to my comment about Capris--I was talking about women.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Amelie

i've lived and worked in rome for years and they won't let you into churches with shorts on, also ladies skirts must be well past the knee. i would throw a pair of light pants in my knapsack and slip them on when i'd visit the churches...then on my way out, i'd take them off and be left with my skirt again. also both women and men MUST have their shoulders covered...ie. no tanktops! one last tip, on a fashion point of wiew, when in Rome, DO NOT WEAR SHORTS...you'll stick out as a tourist...ie. target for gypsie robbers.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Skort

John, dear: wear explorer/cargo shorts or leather shorts with knee-high black socks and sandals. Do not wear deoderant. Speak with a Cherman accent and scowl. Or speak with an Australian accent and leer. No one will catch on that you are an American.<BR><BR>Seriously: NO shorts in churches!

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Rush

I have lost a ton of weight and I am looking great these days ,but even I would not wear shorts in church.

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:18 PM
TJ

I just returned from Florence and Rome 2 days ago. No shorts please for women or men. My husband thanked me for advising him not to bring them. We saw shorts on men...stood out as tourists and the vatican does not allow (or bare shoulders on women) them in St. Peters. Addendum: Definintely see St. Peters. It's amazing.

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:15 AM
carmen

Do not waer shorts in any church

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:29 AM
candide

Many (most?) churches have signs at the door showing, pictorially (via a big "X" over the picture of the forbidden thing) what's not allowed: shorts, mini-skirts, taking photos, bare chests. The sign varies, but when there is one, shorts are always on the "X" list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -