Melk, Durnstein, and Krems

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Salzburg to Vienna in October and are planning to take the road that follows the Danube. Is it possible to stop and tour Melk, Durnstein, and Krems all in one day on the way? If not, which of the three are the most worthwhile? We didn't want to backtrack after arriving in Vienna.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 05:55 AM

I would forget Krems, a large pleasant city but not exceptional on a day where you can spend your time better in places like Melk - a nice smaller town with the famous Melk Abbey and Durnstein, a lovely wine town with a famous ruined castle where Richard-the-Lion-Hearted was once held for ransom.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 06:28 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Coming from Salzburg, you would need an early start to see two of the three towns and have time to enjoy them. I offer my impressions below.

Melk Abbey is delightful if one arrives before the first cruise boat. Take the first tour of the morning, then head to Dürnstein. Melk is small and to me is the least photogenic of the three towns; plus, the restaurant offerings are a little lean. Dürnstein is smaller and far more photogenic, but the wine taverns all seem too touristy (I live in Vienna and have become particular about my heuriger experience.) The ruins require a moderate walk up cobbled stone and dirt pathways; so, perhaps after an up and down a touristy bowl of goulasch will be tasty. Krems has the most interesting self-guided city walk of the three towns, which takes about an hour. There are also a few art museums if you're interested, and many more restaurant offerings (mostly Austrian, of course).
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 06:31 AM

You could also hit Mauthausen Concentration camp memorial/ground en route to the Wachau Valley (Melk-Durnstein-Krems area) - if that type of place interests you. Right on the route I believe.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 07:06 AM

Have to agree with PakenQ....

but if you do pass through Krems....it has a nice little Square with the City Hall, St. Nicholas Church and lovely White Monument in the Square.