Search

Mektup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2023, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mektup

For us, this song by Turkish songwriter Livanelli captures the spirit of tired travelers forging their way through say, Cappadocia or further east, which for them is exciting and exotic country.
I am done. the mektup

Old Nov 27th, 2023, 03:20 PM

I loved it! Where did you find this song, Zebec?

I tried learning Turkish when I lived in Germany. It just seemed like an inherently sensible thing to do - we lived a few streets away from the Turkish quarter, and we had free-to-air TRT (the Turkish international channel). I was addicted to a soap opera whose name means 'together we are apart', about a female architect from a wealthy, cultured background (Westernised) married to a male photographer from a traditional background. They kept arguing so they taped a line down the middle of their living room and occupied separate spaces, all the while bickering (and of course sometimes also making up). The mothers-in-law were hilarious. It was easy to understand the wealthy one as she kept dropping foreign words into her speech (especially French). The other one kept breaking into traditional dance. And of course they hated each other! Of course it was a comment about modern Turkey which I didn't completely appreciate at the time, because I don't really know enough Turkish to have understood everything, but it was a grand motivation! Nowadays I have forgotten most of what I learned but it was a good experience. What languages have you started to learn, and why?

Lavandula

Old Nov 27th, 2023, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Lavandula,
One of the people whom we met in Turkey suggested the particular CD with this song on it: 'Yor Zillar'.Then all these years later here, poster 'otherchelebi' helped translate some of the lyrical content for me, while he was on the mend after illness. Btw, I too met Turks for the first time while in Kreuzberg. Striking appearances.
Speaking of Turkish, whereas Greeks may recognize my handle here as being the name of a type of ancient Mediterranean boat, Turks might instead assume it refers to their word 'Tzaybek', a sort of stately traditional dance done by men in ages past.

As for us and languages, my wife is totally bilingual, having been raised in Montreal. I have high school French, but living in 'tous anglais' Toronto offers few opportunities to practice---je suis rusty.
Our rock band played in Quebec many times during the '70s. We always introduced our songs in French, a gesture of respect that paid off big time. Not every anglo band seemed to think to do the same.
Maybe somebody could translate 'Mektup' for us here?

I am done. the tesskur ederiz
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

mektup= the letter

I am done. the mektup