Meersburg or Lindau

Aug 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Meersburg or Lindau

Working on very early stage of trip in Sept 09.

Which of the two towns would you suggest staying? Why? Hotel suggestions?

We were in Germany in 2006 saw a lot of the tourist spots in Bavaria, but didn't get to the Lake Konstance area. Not quite sure how much time to spend there. Would 3 nights be too much, not enough?
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM

First question: are you going by car or train?
Meersburg does not have any train connection.

3 nights = 2 days - that's a very short stay to barely scratch the surface. One could easily spend a week or two on the lake (if not longer) - there is so much to do and see.
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I biked around the Bodensee (Lake Constance) in May of 2006; stayed in Lindau at Gasthof Inselgraben the first and last night (am staying there again this October). It's a great little town to walk around in; loved the waterfront entertainment on Sunday afternoon. I biked through Meersburg, also an interesting and pretty town. Loved Konstanz and Stein am Rhein, too. Actually, I guess I loved the whole area.
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Meersburg is quite a bit smaller than Lindau, and it is perched on a hill whereas Lindau is flat. I think that gives Meersburg a little more appeal.

I would call Meersburg "quaint" and lindau a little more bustling and cosmopolitan if that helps.

It's easy to situate yourself in one and still see the other.

Aug 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks quokka.

We will be driving from Munich (thinking of 3 or 4 nights in Munich or more), We only spent 2 nights in '06 and that was not enough. More research needed for Munich.

I will have to do much more research for the lake area as I didn't realize the area could keep us that busy.

So which town would you stay in? I'm thinking I would like to be as close to the water as possible and with great views.

Is there another town(s) I should consider?

Thanks for the helpful info travlsolo2. I will look into your hotel.

Lydia

Aug 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM

We are also planning our trip for April/May next year and are spending our last 2 or 3 days in that area. At present our plan is to train into Lindau and have some lunch and a walk then take the ferry onto Meersburg. When we leave we will also take the ferry across to Konstanz, train to Stein Am Rhein then Zurich Airport.
We are looking at the Gasthof Zum Baren which is in the Markplatz I believe, for our accommodation but still haven't decided as like you We would like a view across the Lake. So I am also considering these two little places www.hotel-iris-meersburg.de/index.htm
and www.altepost-online.de/ which are cheaper than Zum Baren. Some of the hotels on the Lake are way beyond our budget unfortunately.
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Hmm, both are beautiful. We visited Lindau in 2002 and Meersburg last Sept. The one thing you absolutely have to do is the boat trip to Mainau Island. The flowers are absolutely unbelievable.

Our photos, if you are interested:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/561...xDcvw?start=36

We stayed at the wonderful Gasthof zum Baeren which you can see in one of our photos.

http://www.baeren-meersburg.de/

I think I'd have to give the edge to Meersburg, but you'd need to have a car.
Aug 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Lydia -- The Gasthof Inselgraben in Lindau is definitely a budget hotel, with a good little restaurant, but there are several hotels along the waterfront/harbor that would have lake views, if that's what you're looking for. Another one of my overnight stops was in the little town of Immenstad where Hotel Heinzler is right on the water, with views from the dining room. Wonderful breakfast, but then, most hotels in Germany have good breakfasts!
Aug 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM

We stayed in Meersburg last year. Nice small town. Stayed at the Alte Post with a lake view. Took a day trip to Lindau which is larger. We enjoyed Meersburg more and are returning in Sept as our "get over jet lag" town. Good Italian food across the street from Alte Post. Better then a lot of places in Italy.
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Oinchats, were you happy with the Alte Post? Would you stay there again? We might be ready for a good Italian meal by the time we get there so that restaurant sounds great.
Aug 10th, 2008, 03:11 AM
ira

Hi L,

> I would like to be as close to the water as possible and with great views. <

I can very highly recommend http://www.hotel-schreier.de/

It is right on the quay at the Lindau harbor, about 4 min walk from the train station.

Meersburg can be readily accessed by ferry or bus.

3-4 nights in Lindau would be nice.

Last year we stayed a week.

Things to do:

Lindau
Konstanz Gardens
St. Gallen
Meersburg
Unterhildingen Bronze Age village
Friedrichshafen (Zeppelin Museum)
Stein am Rhein

You might find my trip report helpful:

Ira Visits Zurich, The Bodensee, Alsace and Paris May 2008
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35136218

Enjoy your visit.

Aug 10th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU ALL!

There have been so many wonderful suggestions. I have already sent e-mails to the hotels mentioned for quotes.

Since the trip is not until next September getting quotes on-line is almost impossible.

Thank you again for all the great replies.

Lydia

Aug 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Maudie:

Yes, we were happy with the Alte Post and will be staying there this Sept. too. Make sure you stay in the front building on the promenade, hopefully with a view. Price is like 79 Euro and they have a great breakfast. If you want something fancy this is not for you. It is clean and comfortable.
Aug 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Lydia, a disclaimer first: I'm travelling on public transport, that influences my choice of base, so I'd never stay in Meersburg. If you have a car Meersburg is as good as any place.
I agree that Meersburg is pretty and romantic but it's the most touristy place on the lake.

Some years ago I stayed in Konstanz for 11 days together with a friend. We saw, either by boat or train: Konstanz itself, Meersburg , the island of Mainau, Friedrichshafen with the Zeppelin museum, Unteruhldingen's prehistoric settlement, the pilgrimage church of Birnau, the island of Reichenau, Arenenberg palace on the Swiss side of the Untersee. Only recently I discovered a hidden gem no one knows about: Überlingen. Then there are Stein am Rhein, Schaffhausen, St. Gallen, the Säntis mountain etc. in Switzerland, Bregenz in Austria, Singen and the Hegau with the castle ruins on extinct volcanoes, all those amazing baroque churches, monasteries and palaces in the area of Oberschwaben North of the lake, Ravensburg's old town... just to name a few places of interest in the surroundings of the lake. I'd go back in a heartbeat and I'd want another 10 days.
Aug 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Well when I was in Meersburg last year there were people there but I only ran into one other American. So if it is touristy it is a European tourist stop. I mean how many Americans have heard of The Bodensee, Meersburg, Konstanz? Some of us can barely find our country on a map.
Aug 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM

On the other hand, Meersburg shows up quite often in threads on this and other forums. If there is a place on the Bodensee people have heard of, it's this.
Aug 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM

When we were in Meersburg last September, we didn't find it overly touristy at all, nor that crowded. There might have been more people on the shopping street right by the lake, but it didn't seem that bad.

Having also spent time in Stein am Rhein, I can attest to what an amazing place it is. We certainly enjoyed the time we spent there, but ideally would combine SAR with a day or two in Meersburg and a visit to Mainau Island.
Aug 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM

We loved Meersburg. I had stayed there in the past, and then my sister and I stayed at the Gasthof zum Bären and had one of the rooms with the oriel window.

I agree that it's not much visited by Americans, though Germans do visit there. I also recommend doing a trip to Mainau. The flowers are really beautiful, especially some of the roses that are very old, which I for one found fascinating.

I haven't been to Lindau. The traffic looked rather daunting. I'd stay away from Konstanz. I thought it was kind of depressing, but it seems to me it was raining when I was there in '98, and also there was construction on one side of the hotel and the train station on the other side.
Aug 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Thanks for your reply oinchats, I liked the look of the Alte Post when I found it and really liked the idea of staying on the lake but we didn't want to pay for anything too expensive. Clean and comfortable sounds just perfect for us. It is also very close to the ferry which is another plus. I shall make sure I ask for a "room with a view".
Aug 11th, 2008, 02:26 AM
DAX

We enjoyed our stay at this Steigenberger hotel that is a beautifully renovated monastery with direct water views and quality rooms.
http://tinyurl.com/6ay3oq
I realize that you have received plenty of suggestions but this hotel is rather unique.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO