Medical Insurance Abroad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't sure which forum this question should apply to, but settled for the Europe forum.

My DH and I have medical insurance (fortunate), but we are traveling to Italy this year, and I wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to purchase medical insurance specifically for our trip.

We are in our early 50s and in good health, but no one can predict a random accident and we will be renting a car.

I guess I am not asking for advice as much as I am asking for what others do when they travel abroad. If you do purchase a special, limited policy, who is the company and are premiums reasonable?

Many thanks.

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM

www.insuremytrip.com

I don't buy it when traveling to EU countries (don't need to), but I sure as heck got it for my recent trip to Kenya! And probably would for travel to any non-EU country.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
mjs

I do purchase travel insurance for the medical evacuation
as this may be quite costly and not covered in my medical insurance. Web site called something like insuremytrip seems to be useful. I buy at AA.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My health insurance doesn't cover me outside of the US. Have you checked to make sure your policy does?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM

You spend real money on insurance that purports it'll evacuate you from ITALY?

You're just the right person. I've got exclusive rights to sell the Brooklyn Bridge, and for someone as astute as you I can offer a really terrific price.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Check with your insurance carrier to see if your coverage is in effect in Italy. If it is, you can purchase just medical evacuation insurance. Here's a tip I gleaned from another Fodorite: if you join Divers Action Network (DAN - www.dan.org) your membership includes medical evacuation covverage.
If you are interested in trip cancellation/interruption insurance, look at www.insuremytrip.com as mentioned by others and frequently recommended by folks on this board.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM

I am from the U.S., and I don't purchase medical insurances specifically for my trips.

My insurance is supposed to cover medical expenses abroad at non participating provider rates. However, I never felt I would use my insurance coverage as emergency medical care in the Western European countries are either free even for tourists or at a rate that does not lead to financial ruins like in the case of the U.S.

This inquiry probably sounds comical to those outside the U.S. But for U.S. residents, it is a major financial concern.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
GBC

We do not purchase insurance for travel in the EU. We do have a basic travel accident policy that we purchase thru AAA.

If you are thinking about med evac type coverage be sure you are getting the coverage you want. Many of these policies do not provide for transport home - only for evac to the nearest facility that is qualified to treat you, in the opinion of an overseas doctor.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM

<<< You spend real money on insurance that purports it'll evacuate you from ITALY? >>>

It also covers things like sending your body home, having relatives fly out to Italy if you are seriously ill or being sent back to the US after the major part of your treatment is over

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM

For about $90 we purchased specifically (for both of us for 1 week) limited medical and evactuation insurance...seemed like a good idea at the time. My DH was strictly on medicare then...he's 66.

I mean, at insuremytrip one can specify exactly limited insurance needs...as to your car rental...our rentals are alreay insured under a special rider with American Express.

I figured what can it hurt?
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:47 AM

kybourbon is correct...some insurances will not cover you if you are outside of the USA..EVEN for medical emergencies! So, the wisest thing is to see what is and what is NOT covered by your plan. If you are covered ...then fine and dandy...but Flanneruk's scoff is unwarranted also...most travel insurances do provide for evacuation back to the US in the event you get injured overseas...as well as other things you can choose as cafeteria style coverages. Of course the more features of a plan you purchase the more expensive it is.
Just as the saying goes a man without a passport is a man without a country....so the same goes for medical insurance ...a man without medical coverage traveling abroad is the biggest russian roulette player there is!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:21 AM

I know that is somewhat OT since it does not deal with Italy, but you cannot rely in all European countries on free medical assistance.

In Germany, for example, you will have to pay for your entire hospital stay, treatments, and for medications the full amount -- unless you are an EU citizen insured in your EU home country.

The first question you will hear in a German hospital will be about your insurance or coverage - and you can expect a bill quite similar to those back home in the U.S.

Re. evacuation: I don't know what kind of travel insurance is available or normal in the UK, but I also don't understand Flanneruk's comment. For me, evacuation is a regular part of my travel insurance, and nothing fancy or outlandish. So, if I break a leg climbing the Pyrenees or have a car accident in Ireland, my insurer will fly me back to Munich, even though I could get hospital treatment in those countries -- and spend a couple weeks there in a hospital.
You should only make sure that the insurance covers the evacuation back home (if you want that) - and not just to the nearest hospital.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:44 AM

Oddly enough, flanneruk, the first time I ever heard of evacuation insurance was from a British climber as we contemplated what would happen if we slid off the mountain. His outdoor club provided evacuation insurance as part of his membership. Mine didn't. We were both careful, but I had an added incentive!

The big deal for US citizens is of course that Medicare provides no coverage abroad. I don't know what they would do about a US flag cruise ship, if there are any, but there is no other coverage for those over 65 who rely on Medicare.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:15 AM

i also have medical evacuation/repatriation cover as part of my standard UK based travel insurance plan...it's a group plan paid for by my employer. i'll have to tell my employer about the brooklyn bridge deal.

i also know someone who has required this cover after having problems abroad.

i don't understand that bizarre comment either.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM

Perhaps flanneruk was reacting to that rather emotive word "evacuation", as in Dunkerque (Dunkirk) May 1940. ;-)

You certainly don't need medevac to get good medical treatment if you fall ill in Italy. There may be circumstances after your treatment, however, where you are unable to return to the US on a normal flight. In that case medevac insurance would come in handy.

Personally I can think of nothing better than convalescing in Italy (another espresso, please!), but that may not be for everyone
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM

..re "evacuation". This is actually a bit of a misnomer. It does cover evacuation from a 3rd world country to the nearest appropriate center. In ADDITION, most include re-patriation. An example of this would be a traveller who was involved in a MVA in Paris with a head injury. After the appropriate surgery (for example), his insurance would sent him home for rehab (or God forbid) chronic care. This would require an airambulance (think about $60,000). I always make sure I have this component of travel insurance. It allows me to sleep better!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
ira

Hi L,

>My DH and I have medical insurance..

If you have MI, and you have checked with your provider to be sure that you are covered, you don;t need any more insurance.

If your concern is evacuation insurance, be aware that almost all policies have the proviso that they will evacuate you to the nearest appropriate medical facility, not back to the US.

They have very good medical facilities in Europe.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:19 AM

I just had this situation the week before Christmas when I was in Austria. Had a cold ended up with Bronchitis and a bad asthma flareup.
My BCBS covers me out of the US but I have to pay up front and for a 10 minute DR visit with treatment it was 200.00 euros.( So no Greg it is not inexpensive.)
My claim went through and I received my portion back in a week but it was an expense I did not expect. I can't imagine what evacuation costs would be and I hope I never have to find out.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM

Most BCBS policies cover you for trips outside of the U.S......but for a maximum of 30 days travel. Air Medical Evac Insurance is a seperate deal. We were in Greece with a friend who fell on our chartered boat and broke his hip. After stabilizing treatment he used an air-ambulance back to U.S. He had insurance purchased just for that risk.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM

There is ALWAYS confusion on this topic because of fuzzy wording...

"Travel insurance" or "trip insurance" includes coverage for cancellation or interruption of a tour-trip for which one has paid money up front. "Medical insurance" does not cover the above and thus is much less expensive.

People who rely on Medicare and Medicare Supplemental policies should be aware that these do NOT cover you outside the USA.

Some retired people are fortunate to have former employers who insure them AFTER retirement with "gold standard" coverage that protects them worldwide. Most of us are not that lucky.

Personally, during seven 3-4 week trips to Greece, insuremytrip.com has helped me find economical coverage including proviso for returning me to the US (in case I get hit by a motor scooter in Crete and am in a full-body cast!). In 2007 for a 24-day trip I think it cost me about $34 for $25,000 worth of med. treatment PLUS that evacuation coverage PLUS a lot of smaller features. I could have had $50,000 coverage for a bit more. A cheap deal for peace of mind.

FYI: on the website to see the full range of products & prices, click on "Quotes" and then put "0" in the slot for price of trip and "0" in the slot for $ of coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -