Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Medical care in Uzbekistan (even though not in Europe)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Messenger

The previous posting re medical care reminded me that I wanted to ask this for someone who may not be in a position to post. Since this is such a well-travelled, knowledgeable bunch, I hope if you know something, you won't hesitate to share what you know on this clearly non-European country. <BR> <BR>A European with a serious chronic disease, which has the potential to flare up into life-threatening episodes, needs to visit Uzbekistan. He's well aware that the medical care system is not good but is seeking further information regarding actual personal experiences with getting medical care there. Does anyone have any personal knowledge to share about it? <BR> <BR>I have no further details to give in this question. I'm just trying to do someone a favor by posting this.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 04:51 PM
???

This is a strange question. Good Luck.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 05:00 PM
lora

If it's Tashkent medical care may be OK, outside of the capital I wouldn't venture with life threatening disease.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 05:09 PM
clairobscur

<BR>Perhaps you could have some advices also on the lonelyplanet site, for such a question...

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 09:39 AM
the messaenger

I was surprised to get ANY responses at all. Thanks.. Does anyone happen to have personal knowledge of this? I don't know where he's going exactly. Since I read this forum, I'm posting only here. (There are some limits to how far I'll go to do research for a total stranger.) <BR>Thanks again for reading this far.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:12 AM
topper

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:06 AM
John

Although the party you refer to is European, you can get some (rather scary) advice at the US State Department's background site on Uzbekistan, http://www.travel.state.gov/uzbekistan.html <BR>It would probably be best for your friend to contact his/her own foreign ministry or the Uzbek consular office in his/her country for more detailed information. <BR>Such a pity, Uzbekistan is a fabulously interesting place, worthy of a booming tourism industry.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:24 AM
topper

topping just in case you know anything

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Florence

Messenger, <BR> <BR>Physicians are most always members of medical societies and keep in touch internationally. Your friend's MD might be able to locate a colleague able to treat his patient in Uzbekistan through their common society roster, and maybe transmit some information on his patient's health. <BR> <BR>Good luck to him. <BR> <BR>