measure of walking distance in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on another thread, can't remember where, that walking distances are NOT measured in blocks as they are in the states. In urban areas anyway. Is there a good rule of thumb or method of discribing distances to an inquirer when giving directions on foot? Are distances simply discribed in Km's or miles? Just curious, thereyet
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Also, is the reason distances are not marked by X # of blocks, because the length of blocks vary? thereyet
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM

Yes, cities just grew haphazardly, and aren't on a grid pattern, let alone one with regular distances between street junctions. So we would talk in turns of approximate yards, or counting the number of turn-offs. So you'd get directions like "Take the second on the left, first right at the traffic lights, straight on for a hundred yards and you can't miss it." Or people might navigate you by local landmarks or shops "Just beyond the church, behind Tesco's and past the garage".

It helps to have a map of some sort, but you can get servicable ones quite cheaply when you get here.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:09 AM

We'd also tend to use timings, like "it's about a 20 minute walk".
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Distances aren't mentioned in "blocks" because there simply aren't any blocks (or very few anyway)

As mentioned, when you ask directions they will tell either the landmarks to look for or the time or both. Something like &quot;<i>just over the road and turn left beyond the Tesco. You can't miss it. 5 minutes tops</i>&quot; Then it will take much more than 5 mins and you CAN miss it.

You really need to carry a pocket map to get a handle on distances.

Old May 4th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Walkit.com is a great site for giving directions, distance, and time estimates between any two addresses in London. I've been whiling away my time &quot;walking around London&quot; for months now in anticipation of my upcoming trip...LOL!
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the link crazy. I am going to get virtual walking right away! thereyet