Mayfair - London

Search

Mayfair - London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mayfair - London

My husband and I are off this weekend staying in Mayfair for our anniversary. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do / where to go. Anywhere nice for lunch, or smart wine bars, interesting places to visit? We are just staying the one night and really want to make the most of it.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Hi,
Have you booked your hotel - I managed to get the Marriott Park Lane 5* (corner of Park Lane / Oxford St) for £100 a night + tax via priceline.co.uk - normal price via marriott was £210 + tax.

Also look at www.nationalrail.co.uk - they have buy 1 get 1 free vouchers available to download.

We went to see the Churchill War Cabinets (should have been £22 - cost £11) - very good,
Also did a river cruise from Westminister bridge.
Suggest you do London Eye.

Mark
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:39 AM

The Dover Street Wine bar is nice (although a complete meat market at night). There are several very nice pubs in Shepherds Market and a few good restaurants. Langans is pretty good, although not to my taste.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Have you been to London? The Westminster area (Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Cabinet War Rooms, Horseguards Palace) is fairly close. Also within walking distance is Trafalgar Square (National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery). In the other direction, Harrods is within striking distance, and a bit further, the V&A. There are beautiful parks on all sides of Mayfair: Green Park, St. James Park and Hyde Park.

We usually stay in Mayfair, and here's a few of our favorites:

We've always enjoyed breakfast at the Wolseley. I'd love to try it for lunch or dinner, although I've certainly read varying opinions.
http://www.thewolseley.com/

The Royal Academy of Art, on Picadilly, has changing exhibits. Until August 19 the Summer Exhibition is showing. We went last year and enjoyed it very much.
http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/

A bit further down Piccadilly is Fornum and Mason, a fascinating gourmet food emporium. You can have afternoon tea there.
http://www.fortnumandmason.com/

We also like window shopping on Old Bond and New Bond Streets.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Fortnum and Mason has been renovated I believe and has a new wine bar. http://www.fortnumandmason.com/about...urants/winebar And it is right across the street from the Royal Academy which I concur is a great venue to see art.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:19 AM

..I took a walking tour of Mayfair with London Walks..it was great fun. I then went back to some of the places which were pointed out on the trip which caught my interest.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Dinner at Nobu, Park Lane. Pricey, but exceptional food....and all the "beautiful people"! Book early.