May weather in Britain?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:24 AM
Anita

May weather in Britain?

We're going to be in England, Ireland & Scotland from April 29 to May 26. Should I take a heavy coat? Heavy sweaters? How do I balance packing light and staying warm?? Thanks for advice.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:46 AM
beth

Whether or not you need a winter coat is up to you. I personally would bring a heavier jaket or coat, but I am cold natured. also it will be much colder the further north you go, especially Scotland and in the mountins and highlands. I went to Ireland and and London last year the end of May, but did not fo anywhere else in the UK. It was in the low 50s each day and was in the 40s at night. I personally am used to mid to high 70s in May so this was cold for me, but its your personal preference. Definitely bring rain gear though. This is a very damp time of year and a raincoat and umbrella are essential!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:33 AM
anniel

Certainly bring a light mac and use a folding umbrella as the weather here can be unpredictable and we are a nation that expects rain at any time!. I would not bring a bulky overcoat myself. You would be better with a short jacket under which you can put light but warm layers if needed. I generally wear trousers and when it is cold I wear tights underneath my trouseres. This seems to do the trick. I always wear shoes comfortable enough to fit a pair of socks as my feet feel the cold. I bought a couple of cashmere sweaters and cardigans from Marks and Spencers and I find them ideal for travelling as they are so light and warm at the same time.
lets hope for some sun for your holiday!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:46 AM
kate

I agree with anniel. Although the weather can be very unpredictable at that (or any!) time of year, it's unlikely to be that cold, so layers would be better than a heavy coat. We could just as easily get a heat wave as cold weather. You might prefer something waterproof (altho you'll find that most of us locals are less practical, and just get wet!). Definately bring an umbrella.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 09:30 AM
Liz

Chilly, wet or a heatwave!

If could be any of the above. I'd suggest a tee-shirt, a warm sweater and a raincoat. Wear any or all, according to prevailing conditions at the time!