Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mav-Start vs Eurorail differences and pricing?

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to book a one way train ticket from Budapest to Salzburg in early September. The Eurorail ticket price would be $135 per person vs 39€ for Mav-Start, the Hungarian train. Is Mav just a no frills train system? Also it would leave from the Keleti train station as opposed to Kelenfold which is in District XI. We are staying in District VI so probably Keleti station would be easier to get to from where we are. Another consideration is that Eurorail does not eticket and would send us our tickets by UPS at a cost. Can anyone help me decide which rail would be the best choice? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:27 PM

I think they are the exact same trains - so take the Mav-Start offer - otherwise you will be paying much much more for the exact same thing.

the $135 is probably a full-fare ticket that can be fully exchanged or refunded - the 39 euro ticket may have severe penalties for changing or cancelling - I don't know for sure but many of the online discounted tickets do. But if sure of your dates or time go for the cheapest one. Check www.seat61.com for perhaps more on Hungarian trains and Mav-Start.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM

>

Of course not - it's the national railroad. There aren't separate train tracks.

EurRail is not a train or a train system, it is a company that sells tickets and passes. Even if you buy from RailEurope you'll be on the same train as those who buy tickets from the national railroads.

RailEurope does not show all train schedules so you should go by what you find on Mav-Start. If you want to leave from Keleti then look for a train that leaves from there. I see lots of trains that leave from Keleti.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your information, I was just curious as to why the difference in pricing. This is all new to me and I wanted to make sure I got it right!
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:50 PM

Yes as adrienne says MAV-Start is the Hungarian rail system's passenger service - born in 2007 when the Hungarian Railways separated freight and passenger services into two separate companies - it is the national rail system of Hungary (as I just read on the Mav-Start web site).
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 11:33 AM

The Eurorail ticket price would be $135 per person>

There are no Eurorail tickets but RailEurope sells tickets on most trains for $132 p.p. today - could have been $135 before so is probably RailEurope being talked about - and they do have the lion's share of Eurail Tarrif Ticketing and yes often charge much more in some countries than you'd get locally - but RE tickets are usually full-fare tickets that are fully refundable and changeable - cheaper tickets may not be but if you are sure then go for the cheapest - for full fare you could always buy them at or below the RE price once in Hungary.