COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

MaryC - Packed & Ready for Paris!!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:04 PM
MaryC

MaryC - Packed & Ready for Paris!!

Well I'm packed & ready to go to Paris!! Woo hoo!! Yee-haw!! Leaving Wednesday night (April 10th) and return Sunday night (April 14th). Flying via AirFrance so at least the food should be decent!!

I have my Rick Steves roller suitcase (in black w/ cheesy Rick Steves' logo embroidered in RED on lower-left hand front of case - too subtle?), my trusty-dusty maryjane-style Birkenstocks and enough black clothes to cover London/Paris/NYC (just kidding ~ I have 4 items of mix&match clothing along with various, sundry underwear items - but we don't need to go into that here do we???).

MUST SEES:
Les Catacombs
Musee Marmottan
Musee Louvre
Angelina's Salon de The
Notre Dame & Towers
Tour Eiffel
Ste-Chapelle
Pantheon (to visit Madame Curie and Voltaire)
Shakespeare & Co.
Hotel Invalides/Eglise du Dome (Napoleon)
(Time permitting - a brisk look-see @ various expatriate addresses of F.Scott/Zelda, Natalie Barney, Sylvia Beach)

"Ah! So many social engagements; so little time!" ~ Raising Arizona

MaryC

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:08 PM
C

Well Woo Hooooo~
Will you sleep at all until then?
I am glad that you are appropriately packed in black
Do you have all of your lists? Especially the one with all of the chocolate sources? I see you only mention Angelinas.
Eat lots of Brie, there is nothing like it here in the US.
Ahhhh, making me jealous~
Bon Voyage~C

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Kay

Have a great trip. I love Paris.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Scarlett

Honey child,
please do remember to keep smiling, those lovely French men love ladies with sweet smiles..and their smiles aren't so bad either!
Remember to drink wine at every meal,eat your dessert,and just stop now and then, close your eyes, and listen and smell the wonderful scent of Paris (the coffee,the bread,the perfumes), keep those memories~
When you come home we expect a full trip report,every single fascinatin detail.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Darlinka

Mary, dahling....
Have a lovely trip! Drink lots of wine, eat the chocolate and cheese.
Get a special perfume made just for you at one of the perfumeries! Eau de Maree!
Au Revoir, Dahling!!!!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
MaryC

C, Kay, Scarlett, Darlinka: thank you for your warm wishes.

Why C, dearest, that itinoire is only the "O-fficial" itinerary. Many secret lists are packed, as well, INCLUDING your sources. I have not forgotten!!

As far as the sleep question, I am testing out my Tylenol PM as we speak. When I start to sound too loopy, we'll know it's working!!

Yes, yes, loads o' wine, cheese, baguettes, chocolat, and perhaps even a parfum!!

Ciao ~ everyone have fun!!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:02 AM
kavey

At last! It's come!
You'll have a wonderful time I know it!
Look forward to hearing about it when you get back!
Kavey

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Leslie

Mary, have a blast. You sound so happy, I can picture that you are walking on air. And, if you could actually do that, you wouldn't have to get on the plane, but could just run over to Paris. Don't you wish you were Samantha on "Bewitched" then you could just twitch your nose and be there in an instant.

Happy travels and au revoir.

Leslie

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:04 AM
beth anderson

woo-hooo, woo-hooo, go Mar-y, go Mar-y!

have a safe and wonderful trip!! (as if it could be any other in Paris). which arrondissement are you staying in?

remember, if you get in very early, Angelina's is NOT open until 9 AM so making a special pilgrimage there, early, will leave you staring longingly through the windows. (not that I would KNOW this or anything, oh no. <wink>)

however there are other places right round the corner to at least get a croissant & you can wander through the Tuileries then. TAKE PICTURES OF THE FLOWERS. They were really starting to POP out when I was there a month ago (a month!! wah!!)

Tell Zelda I said hello. BONUS: at Shakespeare and Co. , you can get a book, unavailable here in the US (as far as I can tell) called A Litreary Companion to Paris. it's a good wandering companion.

sigh. April in Paris...

Beth

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:39 AM
beth anderson

that's "literary".

shoulda gone to typing school.

lol

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Monica

In reference to chocolate, my book “Paris, The Collected Traveler,” has a story called "The State of Chocolate in Paris, France." The author wrote, "...it might indeed be the most expensive cup [of hot chocolate - Two cups and a plate of assorted chocolates was $25] anywhere, but I'll never forget it, and it remains the best cup I've ever had (people may tell you that the best hot chocolate is at Angelina, in the rue de Rivoli but that is only because they've never had one at La Maison)..."

La Maison in the rue Francois 1er (this branch of the chain has a cafe).

Have a wonderful time!!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:06 AM
beth anderson

Monica! I love that book too.

I have the Provence one (if you want to borrow it before your trip, let me know) and soon to get the Italy and Morocco one...

beth

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:45 AM
s.fowler

Have a GREAT time Mary -- and leave some red wine for the rest of us

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Mel

Mary: I'm not going to tell you to have a wonderful time--that's a given
But I AM excited for you and looking forward to your trip report, since my stop in Paris in the fall will be a short one, as well--you can tell me how to maximize every moment.

Make Ohio proud!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Book Chick

MaryC, you wild woman:
I have every confidence you will take Paris by storm!

Happy & safe travels, good weather & looking very much forward to your trip report!

Bon Voyage, Ma Cherie,
BC

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:28 AM
bobbie

Oh, Mary, I can't tell you how envious I am of you....and happy for you too, I have started planning trips to Paris so many times recently and then some jinx just jumps up and ruins my plans, so please have some fun for me and a glass of wine would be nice You sound like you're floating in the air, have a wonderful time!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:12 AM
MaryC

Gosh! Thanks everyone!! I am even more excited today!

Oh Kavey, someday you and I MUST go to Angelina's to meet over some lovely hot chocolat (or at La Maison as per Monica's suggestion!!). I wish I could have gone last month (?) when you were there to meet you and Elvira. How cool is that?

Oh yes, Leslie, that would be so cool (AND so cheap!!). If I could wrinkle up my nose and wish myself somewhere I'd save a bundle on airfare.

Bethie, I'm staying in the 7th at the Hotel Valadon one street over from the Rue Cler. It's a nice neighborhood, not far from bustling places, but not too close to noise!! Your Angelina's moment sounds like "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Beth Anderson's "Breakfast at Angelina's" moment!!!! : ) Dahling, were you wearing a gown and sunglasses when you gazed?? Ah!! And when I stayed in Paris March 2001 the Easter flowers in the area behind Notre Dame were just popping up. Heavenly!! That literary companion sounds cool. Thanks for the tip. I have a great book called "Expatriate Paris: A Guide to the 1920's" and then I bought "Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation" from Shakespeare & Co. last year!!

Monica, thanks! We MIGHT just do that!! I'll have to look for that book, too. And props to you, Monica, for your restaurants listed on your website. I've copied down several names of those in the areas I plan to be!

I shall, Sally, I shall!!!! Sally, do you have any particular wine recommendations? Or should I just drink as much as possible? ; )

Mel, I will do my best to represent our state. But this trip is JUST for meandering; exploring Paris, if you will. : ) I know you will have a wonderful time in the Fall. I envy you your trip then. The Sorbonne will be so fantastic at that time of the year with the new and returning students milling about. Wondrous!!

BookChick, thank you! I hope to make you proud with a good report. We'll see!

bobbie, I know you'll get to make your trip to Paris someday!! And you will love it!! A few stops & starts before my 1st time, too, so just know that a trip to the City of Lights is inevitable. Even if you don't get to go until you're 79!!!!

Everyone, thank you for all the wonderful well-wishing. I don't think I'll be able to pop in before I leave, so...

ttfn
MaryC

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Sue

Mary, I envy you, but only because you're packed and ready to go--I'll pass you in the air, but I'm still unpacked and taxes aren't done, so I'm in panic mode.

Have a wonderful time--have you thought of throwing the Conciergerie in with Ste. Chapelle since they sell tickets that include both?

Hope the flowers are gorgeous; I'm hoping for some lilacs!

Sue

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:24 AM
MaryC

Sue, are you going to Paris, too?? Or where overseas?

Don't panic, Sue, don't panic. Breathe deeply. Ah, there you go!!!!!

And remember, you can always file an extension with the IRS!

I'll just pass on what my friends said to me: "Drink a shot of Bailey's; you'll feel better!" : )

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:41 PM
elena

We just returned from a glorious week in Paris. We stayed by Rue Cler as well. I want to go back, now, but have to wait til next year. Do enjoy Angelina's. We think it's such a special treat! There's a nice bakery on the corner of Rue de Grenelle and Rue Cler that serves breakfast - they have a few tables inside and, in nice weather, some outside, too. Have a wonderful trip - enjoy walking, the sights, the eating and definitely the chocolat!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO