Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Marseille to Nice... leaving tomorrow... ideas!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone
Just in case anyone is about tonight... we are spending 2 days exploring the area between Marseille and Nice (on a whim, so car hire location choice was limited)... any suggestions as to where we could stop and have look around or sleep tomorrow night? Dont mind backtracking towards Avignon - have visited Avignon and Arles already. Cheers Cathy
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I'd get away from the coast and head north into the Luberon. Gordes, Menerbes, Rousillion and dozens of small villages will certainly occupy your time. You might want to head to Nice from the North through St. Paul and Grasse as well.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I stayed once in le Lavandou - a pretty seaside town that is about half-way on the coastal road - on the rugged Corniche des Maures - a bit farther along is famous St-Tropez, another possible overnight

the drive between le Lavandou and St Tropez is really sweet and quintessential Riviera type seascapes

actually since the coastal roads are slow-going i'd hop on the autoroute in Marseilles and speed over to le Lavandou and spent some of the day in this lovely seaside setting (or to St Tropez)

Welcome to Le Lavandou wonderful seaside resort on the French ...
Camp du Domaine. Campsite in Provence · France railway ... Bormes-les-Mimosas. Le Rayol-Canadel. La-Londe-les-Maures. Côte d'Azur Varoise. Le Lavandou.
www.lelavandou.eu/ukindex.htm

after St Tropez i'd head back to the autoroute as the coastal roads there to Nice can be very tedious and the coastal scenery rather scarred by numerous 'front de mers'(sp?) as the French i've heard call the high-rise condos and flats all along the Cannes to Nice coast.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so much, I only put this up 10 minutes ago Thanks a million!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM

We like Antibes, but maybe you have been there.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM

I agree Antibes is IMO one of the nicest old-world type towns on the French Riviera (neat Picasso museum in an old seaside blockhouse) but it is nearly all the way to Nice so i'd go to Nice and day trip to Antibes
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:42 PM

I'm with Pal, I'd do La Lavandou, Bormes-les-Mimosas and St Tropez, all are wonderful towns, great views and restaurants.
Bormes has the most beautiful views, a beautiful town full of flowers, high up. Many nice restaurants, if you need a rec let me know, there's a cute one inside one of the walkways, all lit with candles, reasonably priced and good food, as well as better rests with a fabulous view.
I love St Tropez, I'd definitely go there, the scene is like no where else, great beaches if the weather is hot, great shopping, Sat morning will be market day.
Gassin, a wonderful hill town, also great restaurants,a short hope from St Tropez, reasonable priced hotel with a nice view. I'd stay here if you want to be close but not too close to ST...I'm not sure if it's really busy this time of year in ST.
Love Antibes and Cap Antibes, but you can do this from Nice or on the way to Nice.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:08 AM

susanna - thanks for your take on Bormes-les-M - i did not drive thru it but stuck to the coastal road, far below it. Will check it out next time - yeh there always will be a next time in this wonderful area - to me more the picture of the French Riviera etched in our minds'eyes than the heavily developed area between Cannes and Nice, where many tourists only go.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Pal: Yes, there always will be a next time, mine in in 9months and9days...but who's counting, when is yours?

I really love this area, the drive from B-l-M to ST is one of the most scenic and spectacular rides with views. I too think that this part of the French Riviera has to be one of the best , the vineyards right next to the beaches, what could be prettier?
Definately take a detour up to B, it's a nice 2 hour diversion, not much to do but take pictures of the lovely views, drink and eat.

I was just in Nice and I was hoping it was going to be my new favorite, but I didn't love it nor the urban sprawl that you talk about around Cannes.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM

susanna - i agree - this is one of the prettiest parts of the Riviera and Nice is not all that nice, really

One two-mile walk that i simply love in the Nice-Monaco area however is one that i have written here about many times it goes from the Cap d'Ail train station, right on the water, a few flat miles to Monte Carlo and Monaco, to take a train back to Nice or wherever you are staying along the coast.

This short sweet walk goes thru a totally untouched part of The Riviera - the quintessential Riviera we dream about seeing - the deep azure-hued clear waters lapping up against large boulders - cypress trees clinging to the rocky slopes - and not one hint of the development that IMO plagues much of the Nice to Menton coast. There are isolated swimming holes and often skinny dippers IME however so if swimming a suit is optional.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Antibes has the wonderful Picasso Museum.

Biot has a glassworks with glassblowing demonstrtions:
http://www.verreriebiot.com/gb/index.php

There is also the Chapel designed by Matisse in Vence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapell...saire_de_Vence
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Cassis?
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Cassis is a real gem but is practically in Marseilles so not a an intermediate stop - but it is sweet
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, we had a great day and stopped in a few lovely places, some planned, some not!!! Thanks for all your ideas.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you stop?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Yes, please, where did you stop and what did you really like?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Get to Castellane. Go up to the church. You will know exactly what I mean when you get there.