Marryin Europe?

Apr 25th, 2001, 09:50 AM
siobhan

Marryin Europe?

Is it possible to get married in Italy eg. Rome with very short notice. Over here in uk we have to make so many visits to the chosen church(catholic) months before hand.

Can we go to Rome, marry and honeymoon instantly?!

Apr 25th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Linda

There is a thread on this forum that is a trip report for somebody who got married in Italy. If you post a reply to that thread, she may be able to help you out.

Apr 25th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Alec

There is a section on the following website giving information of getting married in Italy, esp in the Catholic Church:
http://www.santasusanna.org

Apr 25th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Dan

Visit this site: http://www.wedding.it

It is a site devoted to getting married in Florence and covers all of the requirements, religious included. I've never used their services but the info looks like it would help you and they do have an e-mail address for advice.

Apr 26th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Mary

Hi Siobhan

My husband and I recently married in Florence. We used www.gettingmarriedinitaly.com and it really took very little effort on our part. We had a civil wedding and I understand that that is less complicated than a church wedding. I think you can do it on short notice but there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be taken care of.

Good luck,

Mary

Apr 26th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Carey

I got married in Ravello, Italy this past October. It wasn't that difficult to do. Contact your closest Italian Consular office and they should be able to provide you with details. The other options is to contact a "wedding planner" type of person. I used Mia Antonia. her site is:

www.tuscaniaevents.com

I did most of the planning of the wedding, but she was extremely helpful at guiding me through getting the appropriate paper work, etc. We got married in a Catholic Church, so that may have made a difference regarding the complexity. However if you want a civil ceremony, I believe that is easier. If you want your marriage legal in your country, you will need to deal with the Consular's office from your country in the city that is closest to where you want to marry. You will need to gather birth certificates, baptismal certificates (if catholic, and wanting to marry in a church), plus have this information translated into Italian. Basically, if you follow the appropriate steps, it will be very easy. My suggestion is to cover all basis, the italian government can be very difficult to deal with if you do not have the appropriate paper work. they are very "in to" there stamps! it's almost a ritual! Contact offices in Rome and in your city, so that you are prepared for any situation, because you WILL get conflicting information. But I will tell you this, although it took me a year to plan the wedding (not that it will take you that long, I had guests attending for a week, caterers, churches, etc to plan for) it was THE BEST!!! thing I have ever done, and I am very proud of myself for not giving up and making my dream a reality. Also, our guests thought that it was a trip of a lifetime for them, and felt that it was the best wedding they had ever attended.....small, intimate, and in the best setting. GOOD LUCK!!!

Apr 28th, 2001, 03:01 AM
siobhan

Dear All

A big Thank You. I now know where to start, that is if the other half is still in agreement!

Siobhan

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:03 AM
LOL

You haven't asked yet?