Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Marriott County Hall or Grosvenor?-Using Gatwick

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying 2 nights in London in Sept. and arriving/departing from Gatwick. Using Marriott Reward points. I've seen good reviews here for both Marriott County Hall and Grosvenor. We like theatre, shopping, fine dining and convenience to sightseeing. And my husband's a stickler for good service and food. Any thoughts on which one?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 12:35 PM

For your stated likes, the Grosvenor property is the choice. Excellent location for all those things and near Claridges, Oxford and Bond Streets, Hyde Park, Cafe Richoux, Mayfair. County Hall is a fine property, but ACROSS the bridge from one area of sightseeing, rather than accessible to much of it. Below County Hall on the Thames Embankment is a McDonalds, much touristy nonsense, the Millennium Wheel is yards away, etc. Gatwick or Heathrow, the distance does not favor one over the other, if that is the question.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Must disagree w/iangf. Either property would be wonderful. But actually County Hall is more convenient for a lot of sightseeing etc. it is directly across the river from Westminster tube station and also a short walk to Waterloo station. Grosvenor House is a little farther from Marble Arch station and a fair hike to Hyde Park Corner. If you can reserve a room with a river view the County Hall is especially wonderful - a view directly across to Big Ben and Westminster which are beautifully illuminated. The London Eye, Tate Modern, the south bank arts centers and Westminster Abbey would be practically at your door step.

The Grosvenor is on a VERY busy Park Lane across from Hyde Park. All other things being equal I like to be on the river.

But as I said, both are wonderful when it comes to amenities, service.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! After reading responses here and other places, I decided on County Hall.

But now I'm nervous, because a good friend who's a travel agent said this...

"Defnitely the Grosevenor Square. Much better location (US Embassy across the
street and closer in for sightseeing). The County Hall is on the south side
of the Thames, and although a good hotel,the area around it is seedier and
far from the desireable historical areas."

Is this true cause if so, I think I might call Marriott and see if I can redeem points at Grosvenor instead.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:18 AM

That is such "old news" - that is why I seldom use travel agents. they hear something and that stays the "gospel" for then next 10 years.

the Grosvenor used to be one of the very best hotels in London - it is still very grans but in the last 5 or 6 years at least 10 there super deluxe places have opened and the Grosvenor is in a very large pack. Probably 20 or more hotels are just as good or better.

The south bank of the Thames has totally redeveloped and is a MAJOR arts/entertainment/food center. Tate Britain, OXO Tower, Hays Galleria, two new pedestrian bridges, several concert halls, the Globe theatre, and a ton of other things are within walking distance of the County Hall. Then you add in the things just across the river - Westminster, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, St James Park, B'ham Palace, and only a little farther to Leicester Sq, Soho and Covent Garden.

The Grosvenor is more convenient for Hyde Park, Green Park some very upscale shopping, and Oxford St.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:19 AM

That should be "very grand" . . .
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:53 AM

I responded to your wants, as you stated them in order: theatre, shopping, fine dining. Grosvenor is the location for that. True the Southbank is/has undergone a renovation, but I was there 6 months ago---visitied both properties and if there was a dilemma in my mind, I answered it. For fine dining, you can go to Gordon Ramsay's or the newly designed Connaught, etc., and then stroll back to your hotel, which you really couldn't do to County Hall. The defense rests.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Ada

I have never stayed at the Grosvenor, but County Hall is great. It is very close to 2 tube stops and the bridges. We walked back a few times from the cnetre area. If you get the river view rooms, it is indeed quite special to wake up and have Big Ben in your window. =) The hotel is superb!