Market down = tourism down?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Italy in a few weeks...was wondering if tourists have thinned out because of the current economy? If anyone who has visited that country in the last few months can comments, that would be great. Just curious.

Also, how well can you get by if you don't know Italian?
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are going to Rome/Florence/Venice, you will still have crowds.

You can get by without knowing Italian in the major tourist areas.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 01:49 AM

As stated, popular cities will still have crowds, but thinner than of late. You will definitely notice fewer people from countries hard hit by adverse currency movement against the Euro, such as UK, Far East (except Japan), Australia, NZ and Eastern Europe esp Russia. People still seem to be travelling within the Euro zone, but with economic downturn they are spending less money and time. You will notice hotels esp in medium-to-upper price range easier to get a booking in, as well as table reservation in restaurants.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM

This poses an interesting question.
Are you giving up stuff to travel?

If I have to eat ramen for a month I will.
I will sacrifice alot for travel.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM

As regular visitors to the same hotel in Sorrento we have had 50 eu per night reductions in the past but this year we are saving 100 eu per night. It may be a good time to haggle a little - it worked for us.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM

It amazes me every time I log onto Fodor's and see how many people are planning trips in this economy. What amazes me (and scares me!) the most is that I am!

Given the state of the economy in this country and our personal financial situation (one kid just out of college who we're still helping somewhat financially and another with two years to go), I know we're crazy to be doing this. But an opportunity has planted itself in our path in the form of our daughter's wedding in Ireland (to an Irishman, otherwise she'd be getting married here!). Knowing how unpredictable life can be (what with my husband having been diagnosed with stage 4B Hodgkins Disease four years ago), I think we'd be just as crazy <i>not</i> to take advantage of being in Europe!

I'm wondering how many others are taking trips because of opportunities they feel they can't pass up <i>in spite of</I> the economy?

I should add, though, that we're going out of our way to try to do this trip as economically as possible while still enjoying it.