Search

Maribel Help!

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maribel Help!

Maribel,
I would love your input. My husband and I are leaving for Spain for 2 weeks shortly. I can't decide where to stay for the last two nights of our trip. We will be coming from Granada and will be departing from Madrid. Any thoughts on scenic spot? THANKS!
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Why don't you just stay in Madrid?? I've visited madrid several times and I think that it's not only a really beautiful city, but never short of things to do (ie. el museo del prado, plaza de sol, el museo de la reina sofia, etc.)

However, if you don't want to stay in madrid, I recommend sevilla which is like granada's catholic counterpart...it's equally as quaint and quiet. The country side. You might also like salamanca which is right outside of madrid or toledo. If you go this route, bc there's not too much to do in either of these cities, maybe hop the bus and spend a night in salamanca and a night in toledo.

hope this helps.

que te vayas bien!
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:57 AM

jules,
I just have a couple of questions, please. Will you have 2 extra nights in addition to a night in Madrid before your flight home the next day, or just 2 nights before your flight? I looked back at your 911 message and original itinerary, and it seems like you were planning to drive up from Ubeda. Have you decided not to stay that night in Ubeda? I notice you have 3 nights in Madrid at the beginning, which I think is good. I know you're leaving real soon, so want to help if I can
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Maribel,
No we will not have one night in Madrid before we fly, we just have 2 nights left. Yes we had Ubeda planned, but I wasn't sure if that was the best use of our last few nights. Is Ubeda worth 2 nights? Or should we forgo Ubeda for another destination? Would love your thoughts!!

Jules
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Sorry, jules, but just 1 more question:
What time does your flight depart from Madrid? If it's a noon-ish or afternoon flight, you can stay a bit further away from the city.
If I know the departure time, I can give you better ideas.
Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Maribel,
We depart afternoonish! Thanks so much for your help!!!

Jules
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Jules,
Since you'll have started with 3 days in Madrid then hit Toledo, Cordoba, Sevilla
and Ronda before Granada (correct?), then I'd make my way up to Madrid first stopping at the Castle-Parador above Jaen, then to Ubeda (beautiful and unique collection of Renaissance archtecture, best in Andalucia-it reached its splendor and riches in16th c, and the olive grove countryside around it is lushly green). We and a Fodorite friend spent happy 2 nights at the impressive ducal palace Parador there during Holy Week. Great room facing the square, lovely dining. Make sure to walk down to "potters' square" (get a map) to Calle Valencia just to see the showroom filled with the pretty green glazed pottery creations of Paco Tito and son.

I really, really hate to suggest 2 one-nighters back to back, but it's too far a drive from Ubeda to make a flight leaving Madrid on the same day. So..
For the 2nd extra night, I'd drive on to Almagro, home of the Knights of Calatrava, another city visitors usually bypass. (We also stopped on Palm Sunday). It's quintessentially Manchegan, down to its whitewashed homes with electric blue shutters and has a highly picturesque, porticoed, very long Plaza Mayor topped with 2 tiers of glassed-in balconies with green shutters. In one of these homes is the Corral de Comedias, a tiny, genuine Golden Age theater, of the same age as Shakespeare's Old Globe Theater, but square rather than round. They hold a prestigious Classic theater festival here in July.
I'd try to stay in the 16th c convent Parador. It has 14 interior patios, a lovely, relaxing dining room and even a resident lacemaker working away in the lobby who sells her lovely, intricate (but pricey) wares that make great, easy to carry gifts. If the Parador is full, there's another great alternative, the 11 room stylish B&B "Casa del Rector" in a 16th c mansion near the square. They also own a highly regarded restaurant, El Corregidor. (www.lacasadelrector.com)

It's only a 2 1/2 hrs. non-stop drive from Almagro to Barajas airport (baring a traffic jam on the M 40 around Madrid). I'd take the "Ruta de Don Quijote" past Damiel and Puerto Lápice and make a quick stop at the wonderful collection of windmills on the hill above Consuegra.

Since you have frequent 1 night stays on your complete itinerary, I'm assuming you wanted it this way to see a wide spread of Andalucia in a 2 week grand circle.

Hope this helps just a bit.

Old May 30th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Maribel,
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked on both of the hotels in Almagro and they are booked. Any other ideas? THANKS!

Julie
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Oops! Running short of time!

Plan B:
You could drive past Almagro and on to Chinchón for your last night and be within 40 min. of the Barajas airport (again, baring traffic jams on the M40). Chinchón can be very sleepy (read "dead&quot mid-week but does become quite animated with Madrid daytrippers on the wkds when the roast lamb taverns, the gourmet stores and artisan/antique shops (like the Cosas Buenas del Pueblo) are open. It has a terrifc bakery with beautiful creations (we took pictures!) down a little alleyway on the Mesón de la Virreina side of the Plaza Mayor (sign just says "Fábrica de Pan-don't miss it!). Chinchón is tiny, can be seen fully in 2 hrs., but this might work really well because if from Ubeda you stop in Almagro and Consuegra, you'll arrive late and be ready to rest and just enjoy the atmosphere of the lovely Plaza Mayor. The Plaza is interestingly shaped and has been a backdrop for movies, and bullfights are still held there several Sats. in June-July. Take a virtual tour at
www.ciudad-chinchon.com

We stopped on Pam Sunday for lunch at the 18th c. Monastery-Parador and had a very nice meal on the enclosed terrace. But there has been an unfavorable review of the Parador rooms here, when the poster found it filled with a corporate group (also he reported a shabby room). We didn't check the rooms on our short visit.
There is an alternative to the Parador, the Condesa de Chinchón that looked nice and a bit less exp. My Michelin Red says that rooms are classic and elegant and baths have Jacuzzi tubs. (But the Red Guide also gives a red designation for charm to the Parador, so don't know what's going on there).
www.condesadechinchon.com
Since you have an afternoonish flight the next day, you'll have plenty of time to stop for a guided tour of the 18th Bourbon Royal Palace at Aranjuez (the Spanish Versailles) and its lovely gardens, Jardines del Príncipe, if that appeals, since it's a very short distance away.

See
www.patrimonionacional.es

You can also check the recent thread, "Madrid Day Trip-Aranjuez and Chinchon".

Boy, I sure hope this works out for you!

Old May 31st, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Maribel,
Chinchon it is! We are staying at the place you reccomended! Thanks for all of your help!

Jules
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:08 PM

Whew! Just in the nick of time! Have a great trip, jules.