Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Marais open to any feedback for first timer

Feb 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

My hubby and I are celebrating our 29th anniversary and his 54th birthday with a first time trip to Paris March 5-12. We are staying at vrbo 28993-Marais (Thanx Fishee). I have read guidebooks and forums( Thanks a million to all Fodorites who take the time to write travel feedbacks) but we still would like to hear details from those of you who have stayed in the Marais district about areas/places/things/foods/markets you enjoyed very much and recommend on a personal basis. We are on a small budget (20-30euros/pp meals); like casual settings; age-mid50s.We will splurge a little with celebratory lunch at Jules Vernes on March 6th. Our very nice landlord made the reservation for us.
Feb 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Be sure to post after you come back & let me know how the apartment worked out for you. We are of a similar age & will be staying there the first week in June. Can't wait!
Feb 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM

I stayed there last February. I'll try to find my report.
Feb 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Definitely check out the Place des Vosges. It is a beautiful square in the Marais that is one of the most interesting in Paris. This square of buildings was originally constructed to house the nobles and royalty in a very early example of deluxe “urban planning”. In the center is a ring of formal cut trees, fountains and grass. Located in the inner northeast corner is the restaurant, Hugo’s. Not only is the food incredible, it is one of the best bargains in Paris.
Feb 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Look at Rick Steves' Paris Guidebook and Day Trips Paris by Stein...(?) - gosh, just forgot his name but these books are in every bookstore. Anyhow, there are walking tours of the Marais along with restaurant recommendations. I have taken both of their walking tours. It's well worth taking one or both of these walks as you can better appreciate the area.

Here is a restaurant I really liked. Not sure if it's part of the Marais but very close - La Bastoche on rue St. Antoine near the Bastille metro. We really had an excellent meal and at a very good price but this was at lunch.
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:29 AM
ppm

Try La Table des Gourmets at 14 rue des Lombards in the Marais. The restaurant is housed in an old chapel. Great prix fixe menu for €15-20/person.
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM

This restaurant is charming.

Robert et Louise 64, Rue Vieille-du-temple, 01 42 78 55 89

It's a tiny family run restaurant with red gingham curtain and a brass handle on the door. You can't see in from outside, but when you get in there, oh what atmosphere.

Sturdy wooden tables and if you come without a reservation, you will probably end up at the large communal wooden table in back by the fireplace. This is where we sat, and ended up having more fun because as each new group came in, the owner came down and asked us all to 'move down, move down'. We had more fun and laughed that night because of the people we ate with!

The cook the meat on an open fire pit at the back (also a better view from the large table) There is a tiny kitchen where it looked like grandma was preparing the potatoes and salad. (Those potatoes were to die for!)

The meat is served on a wooden trencher and they bring a bowl of salad and potatoes that you share with who you are with.

Lots of nic nacs on the walls and a friendly black poodle to great you. The owner sits at his own table tallying the bills while the son and wife serve and take orders.

Very memorable and we will be sure to return on our next visit.
Mar 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Excellent-thanx you all for the feedback. We'll try to report back after the trip (am not very good at writing) but I would like to try like the seasoned travelers we read in this great forum.I am excited about the reports of spring like weather and some flowers blooming already!!!
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:48 AM

Be aware that Robert and Louise has a Turkish toilet.
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM

One of the best street markets in Paris is at Place Bastille/ Richard Lenoir. market days, Thursdays and Sundays
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cigalechanta-I enjoyed your February trip report-excellent.I am curious about the Turkish toilet-sound adventurous.
c2Paris-Robert et Louis: Sounds like a very fun one, I know we will go there!
Jody-We love markets!
ppm- Thanx.
Thanx all.
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:29 AM

Turkish toilet, (for those who don't know) is the hole in the floor!
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM

We liked the bistro Chez Janou, 2 rue Roger-Verlomme.
Mar 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM

bkm
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM

c2Paris-Robert et Louis: My apartment (for May) is on the same street, so I might try this restaurant. What kind of price range do they have? Do they have a variety of foods on their menu?

Thanks!

Monica
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM

Erlinda, I'm thinking of trying Au Fils des Saisons, 6, r Fontaines du Temple in the 3rd, in April. I read a good review on chocolateandzucchini.com, although it may be over the top end of your budget.

Maybe you'll beat us to it and report back???

Mar 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Sorry, it's Au Fil des Saisons, not Au FilS des Saisons.
Mar 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM

One of my favorite restaurants in Paris is a little creperie called Chez Imogene. It's not in the Marais, but I noticed that you were on a small budget, and a three course "formule" is only 15euros (cider not included). It's located in the up and coming Oberkampf neighborhood at 25, rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud, 75011 Paris, very close to metro Oberkampf. Call to make a reservation (day of, is fine 01 48 07 14 59 ) because it is a tiny restaurant. The entire staff speaks English.
Mar 1st, 2007, 11:34 AM

bkm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO