Notices

Mappy website accuracy?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:32 PM
RMC

Mappy website accuracy?

Hi All....

Has anyone used this website to figure out approximate toll cost? I'm wondering how accurate it is.

For instance, we're driving from Nice to Portofino (express route) and this website tells me that it's 11FF plus 1.7 Euro. Has anyone done this drive and does this sound correct?

I've read that you can use credit cards for payment of tolls within France. Does this apply to Italy as well?

Thank you!

Robinski

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:48 PM
Rex

I have cited some tolls (their absence, actually) from www.mappy.com on certain routes in Italy, and subsequently got told by _natives_ that the info was flatly wrong.

I think that it probably gives accutate toll info for France, but not for Italy.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:59 PM
RMC

Thanks Rex!

Now does anyone know if I can pay tolls by credit card?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:59 PM
Rhonda

RMC, Have you compared mappy's toll accuracy with directions given by viamichelin.com or mapblast.com?

We're heading over there in 8 weeks and have heard from a variety of sources that tolls can be paid by credit card - no problems. We're counting on it.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:34 PM
aaa

Half an answer to your second question. You certainly can pay by credit card in France. Never tried in Italy.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:27 AM
Kerry

Merrily paid our tolls through France with credit card. Cross over the border into Italy and saw different lines to the toll booths - one with a card symbol over it. "Look I said -there's the credit card booth" Stuck our card into the machine and..nothing..nada..zippo.....big line building behind us...lots of honking starting now...guy comes over and says something in Italian. We shrug- point to machine and say "VISA" He hits his forehead with his hand and says something that I'm sure wasn't very nice. Turns out it was for a special toll card only. The guy had to open up the whole machine and pull out our Visa card - all the while a line miles deep was building behind us. Never tried again.